trying something new...different W7s

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by MJE, Sep 27, 2002.

1. MJE

MJE Full Member

yea i figured...hell my W7s have treated me like seths brahma and everyone elses for that matter has. I sold my 12s to a friend of mine tnite...tomorrow I hope to get 3 13W7s at the local yokels radio store.

i may wire them like totoro said...wire 3 coils in series...to get 4.5 ohms...and then wire each set of 3 in parallel to get 2.25 ohms...and then get two amps and bridge them into a 2.25 ohm load...

or i just might see if Ben from ed can mod me an amp to gimme 3k watts at 1 ohm...

or run 3 amps one on each sub...

let me know what you think...and dammit i gotta find some amps for this job.

-MJE-

2. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Arent they dual 1.5 ohm?
    Series/paralleling them would yield a 2.25 ohm load...

I would do as you said... maybe pick up a pair of Cadence A7HC's, which are each 1 ohm stable...
    But strapped together they provide almost 3000 watts at 2 ohms.
    And you can get your hands on a pair of them for under $900 shipped..
    I may know of someone (well known on the forums) who has a pair that are just a couple months old, in mint shape, about $600 for the pair...;)

That would be ideal, I think!

But are three 13W7's really "trying a new thing"? :D

3. MJE

MJE Full Member

yea geo....i have 3 12W7s right now...

talked to my local yokel at the radio store...told me he'd give me JL 1000/1s for 600 a piece...

id much rather wire up those subs each 3 coils in series for 4.5 ohms...and then parallel for 2.25 ohms..and strap 2 amps onto them giving me around 3k watts.

and yes it is trying something new..cause 13s arent 12s man :)...i just want a lil lower frequency ext...even tho the 12s were lower than ive ever heard. made you feel like you were going to $hit and piss yourself :)

4. MJE

MJE Full Member

another thing...wouldnt wiring them up like that cause distortion...

why does JL audio say to wire them in parallel for clean sound etc etc...id think wiring them in series would ruin the sound. i was thinking of just getting an amp per sub a .75 ohms.

5. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

No, wiring in series doesn't change the sound of the subs one bit.
    What article are you quoting from JL?

Remember, the original W6 series was specifically DESIGNED to be wired in series/parallel (dual 6 ohm voice coils) to yield a mono 4 ohm load when three of them were wired that way.

In all practical sense, the biggest consideration to be had when wiring in series as opposed to parallel is potentially a higher/larger grade of speaker wire might need to be used, as the current for all the subs wired in the series chain will flow through the speaker wire, as opposed to being divided up as it is in parallel.

In other words, if you had two simple SVC subwoofers (say 2 ohm each), and wired them in series to a JL 1000/1 for example, you would need to use speaker wire that could handle the full 1000 watts.
    Whereas if you ran the two subwoofers in parallel, you would only need to use speaker wire going to each subwoofer that handles 500 watts per wire.
    But that's hardly a consideration to prevent wiring in series when it is complimentary to the install!

Why go the $1800 route for 3000 watts, when you could get the same power, same built in features for $900 new, or possibly $600 slightly used? ;)

6. trifle

trifle Full Member

dual 1.5s.... you'd get 3 3-ohm loads after series...1 after paralleling them all....

either that or i got confused in all of this mess :lol:

7. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

If you wired each woofer in series, you would end up with three 3 ohm loads that WOULD result in a 1 ohm load when the three woofers were wired in parallel...

OR

you could wire each woofer in parallel, resulting in three 0.75 ohm loads that would result in a 2.25 ohm load when wired in series with each other..

;)

8. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Why does JL use diffrent ohm voice coils? Sounds almost as bad as Dell and compaq's propriatory computer parts....

9. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

My guess has always been that JL has a delicate balance of proper VC length and gap size...

Meaning that if rather than a 3 ohm VC, JL wanted a 4 ohm VC, it would take more wire, more windings...
    Either resulting in a longer coil (making the coil/gap ratio higher than the already high 6:1!),
    or resulting in a shorter coil (and inherently lower coil/gap ratio, increasing the rate at which BL rolls off, making a less smooth response curve),
    or resuting in part of the coil having more windings, overlapping, than the rest of the coil, which isn't symmetrical!
    ;)

That's my guess, anyways...
    That W7 represents a good piece of engineering, obviously!