trunk rattling

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by lovalova, Mar 6, 2011.

1. lovalova

lovalova New Member

I have a pontiac grand am and I have two 12inch subwoofer and a amp in the trunk when I turn up my radio the trunk rattle, what can I do to fix other than turning down the radio?

2. connerray2010

connerray2010 Full Member

sound deadener will help some.

3. .::KGD::.

.::KGD::. Full Member

X2 on the sound deadener, and also make sure all bolts and screws are tight...

4. soulfly

soulfly Full Member

If you can't afford sound deadener, an alternative is Rubberized Undercoating. A few layers of that will help, But actual sound deadner would work a lot better.
    Look on Ebay to find cheaper prices.

5. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

and dont forget to do the back of your license plate

6. bing

bing Member

There are many affordable and easy ways to sound proof, items like sound blankets that you can lay in your trunk. Making sure you sound proof your license plate will can cut down a lot of the sound. Most people forget to sound proof the plate. I would not be surprised if this is where your rattling is coming from.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  7. 502cec

502cec Full Member

This is kinda a "ghetto" fix I used to do when I was young and broke but sometimes when you're strapped for cash you have to do what you have to do. Lowes has a 2 inch wide strip of foam that has a sticky side on one side. It's made to go between a camper top and the bed of a truck to both, seal and protect the top of the bed from being scratched. You can go around the inside of the trunk with 2 layers of this stripping, the idea is to make the trunk hard as hell to shut. You want it to where you have to push down real hard to make the trunk lock, thus taking up some of the play in the trunk, you can also do the same principal on the license plate. This will only HELP, it will not make it totally quiet, but for about $7 a roll its worth a try.

8. DACNinja

DACNinja New Member

Well all I wanted to do was ask a question with regards to system break in/burn in so I will fire away here on this post...

Basically I have subwoofer system consisting of: Sony Xplod head unit, two vibe blackair door speakers and tweeters (360w max/ 120w rms), vibe space 2x12" ported subwoofer enclosure (6000w max/ 2000w rms), two blackair amps (one amp for each sub speaker) and a delta splitter signal box.

What I wanted to know is not whether system break in exists or not because I know for fact it does to some extent, but what the best way to break in the system was (vibe recommends 30 hours at low/mid volume at mid bass and then graudally build from there).

I left it on my drive playing at very low volume 5 (max volume on head unit is 34) for about 8 hours continuously on repeat. I heard that to get any sort of productive burn in you have to play at at least mid volume because it wont work the speakers at all at such low volumes otherwise. However when i checked after 8 hours of playback on low volume my speakers were slightly warmed up and i could see the subs vibrating a lil so surely they must be working a tad bit right?

I do drive round normally with volume 20 or so to break them in but if im not driving and i dont want my neighbours to hear it playing on the drive I play it low volume with windows wound up. I want to know if this will still help with the break in process or will it only work when playing at mid volumes?

Thanks guys, any help with this or how to get the most out of my system in general would be much appreciated! =D