trim panel

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by gscustoms, Jan 1, 2003.

1. gscustoms

gscustoms Full Member

ok, well i have my subwoofer flush mounted into my box, I want to make a trim panel that covers the entire front of the box and extends to the sides of my car.

so when you look at the panel the sub will be behind it, with no screws showing...

just the surround and cone.

my question is... what's the best way to get the circle the right size and the right place!

i want to be exact so im going to have a friend at a local cabinet shop use the router and make a perfect circle with rounded edges (that i'll later vinyl), but he needs the exact center of the hole.and the size.

any tricks for this? i would just draw a circle on the wood from behind, but i cant get my arm down a 30" port to do it!

im sure i can get it with like a cardboard template and just keep cutting, but that's allot of time!

thanks for any suggestions!

gscustoms

2. gscustoms

gscustoms Full Member

3. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

The woofers cutout diameter will provide the proper measurement, from there simply use a compass to place the circle where you want it on the trim panel.

4. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Ding ding ding ding!

We have a winner!
    :D

You can cut down on your time if you make some measurements first...
    And have better results if after you do the cardboard template you use real drawing tools to locate the real center of your holes, and redraw them with a compass...

Do it twice, too..
    Once on a "virgin" piece of cardboard, once on your wood (probably 1/4" stuff)..
    That way, you can make doubly sure your "corrected" measurements are right!
    ;)

5. zabooza

zabooza Full Member

yup, "measure twice, cut once." :)