This setup any good?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by MoNsTeReNeRgY22, Nov 18, 2008.

1. MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22 Full Member

Well I'm lookin into adding a amp and two subs to my car for christmas. I went to the place that installed my speakers and headunit and they said they would give me a Rockford Fosgate Punch P200-2 Amp and two Rockford Fosgate P2 Subs for 500 dollars out the door. With the box, installation, and everything. Is this a good setup/deal, and is there anything that you would switch, etc?

I currently have no amp or subs and have a Alpine CDA-9886 HU, two Alpine SPS-600 in the door, and two Alpine SPS-609 in the rear.

Any and all opinions and suggestions are highly appreciated!

Thanks again!

2. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

dude, DIY! you could have a way better system for $500.

3. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

x2 on that. check out the thread with the 20 $ subs

4. jonnyv713

here give me 5 mins and ill throw sumtin together for ya.

5. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

whats shipping on those 20$ subs?

6. jonnyv713

7. jonnyv713

from sonic to me for 2 of them, its $23.10

8. MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Thanks for all those links, but the problem is I have to have to buy it and have it installed by them. They don't carry any of those brands that you mentioned so I don't know what to do from there.

9. jonnyv713

install it yourself. its easy stuff man, we will help you with everything. the most complex thing is probably where to put the power wiree through the firewall and what thox should be.

10. MoNsTeReNeRgY22

I really wish I could do that. The problem is my dad doesn't trust me with that, and then if anything goes wrong I got to take it out, send it back in, and wait for the new one to arrive. It seems alot easier in my opinion just to have them do it. If I need a replacement I just take it there and they do it for me.

11. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

problem is, would they do it right? you should listen to the stories of bad installs. where do you plan to have it installed?

12. jonnyv713

how old are you?

13. MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Well I have heard good and bad things about them, but then again that is with everyplace. They have taken great care of me so far with what they installed a few weeks ago; a HU and 4 new speakers. Im planning on having the subs in my trunk, not sure where the amp would go though.

Also, Im only 16.

14. MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Ok, well I went back into the store today to get a break down on prices and everything else. Here are the two options I was offered.

Option 1 $500
    Rockford Fosgate Punch P200-2 Amp
    2 JL Audio 10W1v2-4 or 2 Rockford Fosgate P2D410 Subs
    Installation, box, and wiring included

Option 2 $550
    Rockford Fosgate Punch P400-2 Amp
    2 JL Audio 12W1v2-4 or 2 Rockford Fosgate P2D412
    Installation, box, and wiring included

So basically, for 50 more bucks I get two 12"'s instead of two 10"'s. I also get a bigger amp.

What do you guys think?

ALso, I have a 96 Accord, so is it even worth it to put 12" in my car? Would that be too much?

15. jonnyv713

theres never too much. if u get it done by them, the better deal is the second.

16. MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Now its whether I should get the RF or JL subs...

17. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

go with the 2nd option, i really don't like the punch series amps but if that's what you want then go for it. 2 12's would be better, more cone area meaning more bass. I remember azn saying that the rockford subs aren't that good so i'd go with the JL.

What kind of box are they going in? ported? sealed? got the specs on the box? also, what gauge wires will they be using?

18. MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Ya, Im gonna go with the RF amp for sure, just deciding now on which subs.

I have no idea what kind of box or gauge wire they are using but I can call them tomorow and ask.

Whats the difference between ported and sealed and which is better? What exactly does the gauge wire do and what should they be using I guess I could ask?

19. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

the only thing thats wrong with having that shop install your system is that i bet they'll give you a crappy box. most of your sound comes from the enclosure. heres something you could maybe work out. have the shop install the stuff then we can design you a new box then you can build and be much happier with the sound.