the power going to your sub?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by crazywhiteboy91, Jan 17, 2011.

1. crazywhiteboy91

crazywhiteboy91 Full Member

ok lets say if you have a 300rms sub and you have an amp that can feed it this 300rms or you can wire it to lets say 500 rms without blowing the sub, will the sub actually be louder with the rated rms its suppose to handle or the 500 rms it can handle. sorry if this is confusing, just asking what would be louder the 300rms or the 500rms?

2. 6.5ldiesel

6.5ldiesel Full Member

Typically overpowering subs is a bad idea, but having a larger amp for what the subs need with the small amount of headroom can't hurt. Ive ran a 2500wRMS on a ported 12w7 for months. Of course the gain was adjusted properly.

I wouldn't give the sub more then 300w personally if your new to car audio.

Also there wont be much of a noticeable difference between 300wrms and 500wrms, 2 db at most.

3. crazywhiteboy91

eh ive had about 15 systems the past 2 years, just needed some opinions on this cuz ive always wondered.

4. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Thermally, the voice coil is able to dissipate 300 watts of power without going into meltdown. This is an RMS rating, which means that if you put 300 watts continuous into it without lifting the throttle once in a while, it will still burn up. Running 500 watts will not make a very noticible difference as diesel said. But music is dynamic and if you dont plan on leaving the volume cranked up to your favorite non stop bass track, it will survive fine. Often times voice coils are turned into charred masses by too LITTLE power, this is especially true of midbass, mids and tweeters...

5. crazywhiteboy91

lol well i had my subs wired into a 1ohm load, just rewired it so they will get 300 rms from the amp.