Test tone from hell... OK, outer space

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by sandt38, Sep 11, 2003.

1. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/09/10/b...reut/index.html

I wonder what the excursion of my Brahma would be at that frequency? I guess it is slightly subsonic, and may unload in my enclosure...

An interesting debate has surfaced in another forum I visit... Is this sound? What is sound exactly? I know what my idea is of sound, but I am interested in what you fellas have to say before I make waves here...

Fire away smart guys ;)

2. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Well, i'm not a smart guy, but from the article i read it can't be audible. So theoretically it's sound, but it'd be way below our threshold of hearing.

My buddy thinks it's like -500hz :lol: but i have no idea.

3. systempimp_1500

systempimp_1500 Full Member

hm......

It goes back to "If a tree falls in the woods, and no ones there to hear it, does
    it still make a sound?"

Well, the answer is yes and no, depending on how you perceive it.

Yes, because it creates sound waves.

No, because there's nothing there with ears to interpret the waves.

To me, sound is anything audible, which will range from organism to organism.
    No matter how loud you play a 14hz note, I wont be able to hear it, just because
    I can't pick up on that wavelength.

Same thing goes with dogs hearing up to 30K hz.......I can't personally hear it, but
    it's still a sound, to something, I suppose.

Bats use sonar with very very high frequencies, which no one else can detect
    with their ears.

Jeff

4. Abhorrance

Abhorrance New Member

I am new here, this is my first post but I have been reading some of the posts for a few days. I was told to check this forum out by Seth (sandt38) and am glad I did. I just wanted to add something that I found which pertains to this topic. I found this http://channels.netscape.com/ns/atplay/pac...e/ghosts/ghosts
    webpage and it made me think this frequency should be used in music and movies to give a sense of unease and cause chills during certain scenes or before loud musical passages. People would be amazed and not know exactly why. I don't think any subs could reproduce the frequency but I am not sure as it is not listed.
    Possibly the Brahma 15 :yes: .

5. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

OK, first off sound is simply a disturbance in a medium. It is mechanical in nature. Sound can travel through solids, liquids, and gasses. It is simply due to movement.

Being within the human spectrum of hearing is not imperative for lableing sound. a bat's sonar, dog whistles, a 5 Hz test tone and for me, about 12,000 Hz. See, I am tone deaf and I cannot hear the brake squeeler on many GM cars as they fall into my deaf spot. But, you guys (for the most part I think anyways ;) ) can hear this squeeler. So, does that mean it isn't "sound", or that it is :blink: ? Jeff (systempimp for our new member Jeff ;) ), according to your theory, it isn't <_<

Here is an interesting scenario for you. The peiod of this soundwave is 10 million years :jawdrop: . That is 10,000,000 years. That is one slow moving woofer!!!

Abhorrance (jeff right?),

Maybe figure an Adire Tumult into that equasion as well
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. systempimp_1500

Be nice Seth.........

Ok I guess I didn't explain it in an orderly way.

As you said, sound waves simply move through any medium.

By definition, what is sound?

sound1
    n.

Vibrations transmitted through an elastic solid or a liquid or gas, with frequencies in the approximate range of 20 to 20,000 hertz, capable of being detected by human organs of hearing.
    Transmitted vibrations of any frequency.
    The sensation stimulated in the organs of hearing by such vibrations in the air or other medium.
    Such sensations considered as a group.

Actually those are a little contradicting to each other, but it seems that it's favored

more as anything that can be perceived or translated into an audible sensation.

I doubt that elephants can hear that infrasonic tone.....and I'm not to sure, but I

really dont think dogs can hear a dog whistle, rather they can feel the pressure of

the wave.......

Jeff

7. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

But definition # 2 states...

Transmitted vibrations of any frequency.

That is the scientific definition. The other two are laymans definitions... Technically, it is sound.

also, I don't know that feelings of pressure are achieveable at that high of a frequency, with regaurds to a dog whistle. Not before sensory organs would implode anyways. If I am not too terribly mistaken the actual sound pressure level required to make a high frequency "felt" would cause death (or liquification of air). That feeling is far more easily accomplished at low frequencies. It is heard by dogs... In fact (all humor aside fellas) I can hear a dog whistle. It may have something to do with my having no eardrum left in my left ear, but I can.

8. systempimp_1500

Okay mr smartie pants you win this time.........

So what was the point of the post? Felt like arguing? Stupid postwhore <_<

Love ya

Jeff

9. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I am looking for a "techie" discussion and maybe some other opinions... And specifically to piss you off Jeff :lmfao:

10. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

Then by your definition, transmitted frequencies up to MHz and GHz would also be considered sound... which is entirely correct, of course.