System suggestions

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Renegade6, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Renegade6

Renegade6 New Member

I have a 1957 Chevy truck that I've restored and I'm finally to the point where I can put a system in it. Last time I seriously messed with car audio was when in dash CD players first came out for the aftermarket.

I've already purchased a head unit (JBL Marine Audio) mainly for the reason that I can put the remote in the glove box and put the rest of it under the seat.

I would like to go with 6" front speakers and 6X9 rear with a four channel amp. Rear speakers will go in boxes behind the seat and the 6" will go on the kick panels but, I am kind of limited on room for the front.

I'm mainly looking for clean sound.

Specific questions I have are:

-Recommendations on speakers (size and brand). Should I go with two way speakers or separate mids and tweeters. Also, for the size, I am limited on space but, don't want to sacrifice too much and have crappy sound. I've had good luck with Polk Audio in the past but, that was several years ago.

-Amplifier recommendation. I've considered the Alpine PDX series but, wondering if I should try to keep the system matched between amp and speakers. Never worried about this in the past but...Lastly, looks aren't the most important but, I would prefer something that is bland looking on the outside, even though it is under the seat.

Here are a few pictures so that you can see what I'm working with.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I would not go with components, just more stuff to figure out where to put it. As you said, your limited on space.

Is there a place for a speaker in the center of the dash? If so what size?

Might want to consider this (a friend of mine did this many years ago), build some custom enclosures that fit under your seats, yes thats under your seats. The speakers will need to face toward the front of the truck and silghtly up. It works, imaging in his 59 Ford Truck is really good.

The speakers were Polk Audio 6 x 9 in a 1/2 cu ft box. The boxes were ported, 2-inch ports 3-inches long.

You said that you were going to use 6 x 9 in boxes in the rear, use them as a test. See if it will work in your ride.