System Purchase Advice

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by LA157M3, Jun 15, 2009.

1. LA157M3

LA157M3 New Member

Hi, Guys:

I know nothing of car audio and have spent the last couple of days trying to educate myself enough to find a decent system to put into my vehicle but still seem a little confused on exactly what to get. I'm hoping someone can help guide me in the purchase of a few items that I'll have installed at a shop.

1) Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Tundra 4-door Crew Cab with stock radio & door speakers = junk.

2) Stereo - I want a stereo with lots of presets, AM/FM, HD radio, iPod connector, and Sirius Radio access. I've seen a few radios for well under $200 that have all of these features but I don't understand wattage and what is best for the money under $200.

3) Speakers - Wattage to handle whatever the stereo is capable of and what will fit in my doors. I'm guessing 6x9's? I'd like to stay under $400 for speakers.

4) Amplifier - Wattage to handle the stereo/speaker suggestions. Don't think I'm interested in sub with a mono amp - at least not at the moment. Would like to stay under $300 for an amp. Confused - not sure how to calculate the RMS of the speakers/amp - or the 2ohm or 4ohms, do I need a class a/b amp that's bridgeable since I'm not getting a sub, etc.

As you can see I'm still baffled by what I need for a budget of $900 or less. I'd like a system that definitely out-performs the Toyota Tundra stock radio/speakers, but don't know what's the best for my needs and the budget I'm trying to stay under. I like a wide variety of music so I'm not trying to create a system for boom-boom but I'd like something that makes my huge collection really nice to listen to.

Thank you for ANY recommendations and/or guidance you can provide.