Sweet Bleeding Ears

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by madstamm, Jan 6, 2004.

1. madstamm

madstamm Full Member

Hello All..

It's late and I have tunnel vision: forum browsing taking its toll :blink: besides the nausea, all this scrolling (god bless the mouse wheel) over the holidays has got me back into the car audio thing... B)

Last time i touched car audio was about five years ago, did some smaller installs for friends, etc. I never did my own install, never owned a car. Kinda got a taste for RF amps and ID subs back then, always wanted a setup with power series amps and a few IDQ12s, but never had the dough..

now I do.. so I went and bought three used RF amps, a 250M2 and two 250Ms.. all going into a new-style (1998+) audi A6 sedan. The choice of amps was mostly due to nostalgic reasons, so please no flames on this... :D

The deal: I was kind of set on two IDQ12s (for bottom end), I know they sound good, as good as I want my subs to sound. But posts on the various forums seem to suggest that the newer subs combine decent sound quality with some serious spl.. case in point brahma, in which i've become quite interested. (Never hurts to not only impress your friends, but also make them use the sick-bags ;) ) However, Ive never heard the brahma (or EDAs, XXXs etc etc, whatever the particular forum seems to like talking about).. so I want to have a listen.

The problem: I live in Edmonton, Canada.

The question: Since there are at least two adire dealers here on the forum, can any of you tell me what the most feasible way of auditioning the driver would be? There is no shop in town, is there ANYTHING adire in canada? Do any of you know people in Alberta who run this sub? I guess I should explain that Alberta is sort of like a state where you guys live. Mad cow disease comes from alberta ;)

Anyway.. any help would be much appreciated.. I just dont want to drop like 700CDN on something that I havent heard. Thanx in advance,

Mike
    http://mstamm.imgaming.com

PS: seems most people use 1500W+ to power their brahma. Would the two 250Ms (~1000Wrms) be enough? im kinda scared o that friggin huge and stiff looking surround...

2. black00

black00 Full Member

3. josh99ta

josh99ta Full Member

The Brahma is no doubt an awesome sub, as is the ED A series, the XXX, the Magnum D2, and a handful of other lesser known companies' top offerings, but if IDQs are what you know and IDQs are what you love, I'd say stick with that UNLESS you can actually hear with your own ears what one of the other subs sounds like. I've made the mistake all to often of buying something because it seemed like it would sound good or because someone else thought it sounded good, and I would have saved myself alot of money had I just bought what I KNOW I liked and have had experience with before. Maybe its just me and maybe I'm just getting tighter with my car audio money, cant justify spending that much money on something I may not like, then have to deal with the hassle of turning around and selling it. The Brahma is an awesome sub, but it definantly has it's place and the sound isn't for everyone. It just so happens that the sound IS for me, but a few on this forum prefer other subs to the Brahma. I'm seriously thinking of picking up a single 15" IDQv2 for my daily driver among other sub choices (Creative Sound Solutions SX10, Adire Shiva, Resonant Engineering RE8 duo) but out of that bunch, I've heard the Shiva and the RE8, so chances are I'll be going with one of those just so I make SURE I dont throw money down the drain. I'll stop rambling know.

www.creativesound.ca I think for Adire
    www.genuinecanadianaudio.com I think for ED
    www.stereointegrity.com for the SI Magnum D2

Few guys on www.SoundIllusions.net forums are from Canada (WeDgE, m_harrison, and a few others) that have or have had subs you've mentioned, might be worth looking them up, seeing if they're close (I've heard someone is from Alberta, cant remember who though) and seeing if you can take a listen.

4. madstamm

madstamm Full Member

...exactly my point, that's why I want to listen to the sub... from what people say, it'll be what I want, but you never know. Faith applies mostly to the metaphysical, and a brahma is about as materialistic as it gets :D ...

JUST FOUND OUT: I'm going to LA sometime in march (eagle rock, northeast LA). There must be a place where I can listen to the brahma, no? Any suggestions??

thanx again,

Mike

5. jlaine

jlaine Full Member

Like josh99ta mentioned -

A guy on SoundIllusions.net and CarAudio.com - goes by Mark_AB on CarAudio.com and m_harrison on SoundIllusions - he used to own a B15 -he lives in Alberta somewhere I believe and still has it from what I know...

I think that's all that I personally know offhand.

You may want to ask CSS if they have any users in the relative vicinity that would be willing to give you an audition...

6. madstamm

madstamm Full Member

thanks jlaine... just got a hold of mark, turns out he lives right here in edmonton. Now to get the wax outta my ears ;))

thanks for all the help. will report on what i hear in a few days :) cheers,

mike

7. jlaine

jlaine Full Member

I think he has a magnum d2 too - so you should have a good audition or two coming up...
    Mark's a great guy, I don't think you could have picked a better person to get hooked up with for an audition.

8. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

I think he has a magnum d2 too - so you should have a good audition or two coming up...
    Mark's a great guy, I don't think you could have picked a better person to get hooked up with for an audition. [/b][/quote]
    Marks on this board as well. And I also agree that he is a great guy.

9. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Mark's a great guy, I don't think you could have picked a better person to get hooked up with for an audition. [/b][/quote]
    I'd love to hear what you think, if you have the opportunity to hear either (or both) the Brahma 15" and the SI Magnum 15".

Quite a few people here would appreciate your comments, your take-away from the listening sessions. B)

10. jlaine

jlaine Full Member

I'd love to hear what you think, if you have the opportunity to hear either (or both) the Brahma 15" and the SI Magnum 15".

Quite a few people here would appreciate your comments, your take-away from the listening sessions. B) [/b][/quote]
    Magnum 12"

;)

15" doesn't exist...

11. madstamm

madstamm Full Member

I see... hope I can do you all justice ;) getting out the discs here, lessee...

diana krall - s'wonderful
    sade - lovers rock
    bush - glycerine
    collective soul - she gathers rain
    jamiroquai - canned heat
    creed - say I
    chili peppers - several...
    cincinnati symphony orchestra - tchaikovski 1812 overture (can't seem to find it though... dang)

..should cover a few different styles, synthetic, electric and acoustic bass..

...this is just some stuff I listen to which has solid foundation, I never actually went out and bought discs due to interesting <~80Hz content (except for the 1812 bit :) .. but maybe I should?!

what do you guys listen to when specifically eval'ing bass?

mike

:puke: <- me after the fourth or so 1812 cannon shot (hopefully :p )

12. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Well, the Magnum 18" then.
    :lol:

It actually would be maybe an even better comparison anyway, Magnum 12" compared to a 15" Brahma, IF you could mentally factor away the fact that the Brahma is likely to be louder.
    Lots of people believe that large-cone subs can't have high detail and sound quality, and I definitely believe the Brahma is one strong case against this myth. B)

13. TalNLnky

TalNLnky Full Member

WOOT!!! a BUSH LOVER!!!... crap if it wasn't for Gwen... i'd marry Gaven.... ok... well maybe not... but dang Bush was an awesome band.

I will also comment on mark being a class act... Hope you get to listen to both.
    I myself run a brahma 12 and love it, Best sub i've ever listened too, and am trying to get a hold of a kid who appareantly lives in my hometown about listening to his eD A (not sure if its a 12 or a 15).... have never heard/seen an eD but would love to. Same goes with the D2... and someday... i'll just have to listen to the ID subs as we got 2 dealers that sell them.