Subs!!!

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by bmas1, Aug 21, 2002.

1. bmas1

bmas1 Full Member

Well i'm fed up with this stuff!!!

My xtants have just given me to much grief. I'm thinking of a swap out now. The amp is still good to me but the subs probably will go. I'm thinking of doing something crazy.

Right now:
    2 12's at 500 watts a peice(1 ohm)
    Crazy thought.
    Go with 4 12's 4ohm SVC rms around 250-300 watts.
    If i were to parrallel all 4 subs that would give me 1000 watts from the amp and then each sub would get 250. what do you guys think?

2. bmas1

bmas1 Full Member

whats the RMS on shivas???

3. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

I believe its right at 300-350. They require alot of airspace though. How much room do you have?? I'm not sure if they come in SVC configurations or not, but the new Elemental k series subs are the best deal going at $100 per sub.

4. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

I recommend looking at the DEI Studios

they are not on the Sales site but I can get you the 12's or 10's for for about $100 each shipped

14mm Xmax
    500W rms power handlin (12in)

www.directed.com

5. bmas1

bmas1 Full Member

thanks for the suggestions. i guess i wasn't really looking for the cheapest subs out there. not saying they aren't good but the price is what i'm saying. money isn't tight but i'm not going to go above 300 a sub either. maybe 400 at the most. i want to stick with two 12's also.
    how much air space do the shivas need?
    i would run them sealed if that helps.

6. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

If i'm not mistaken they need like 1.5 cu ft. per sub sealed for a 12".

7. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

Well if you want to run 4 SVC subs that limits your choices as there are not too many SVC subs left on the Market

then you say on 250W's each so you will not want a expensive High Power sub then,

I think the DEI fits your bill (a small bill at that:p )

8. Uhhhh

Uhhhh Full Member

unless you are dead set on it...rather than gettin 4 ohm svc you could get dvc 2's and get the Elemental 12's...they are supposed to work in small boxes as well so that way you can keep more room..

9. bmas1

bmas1 Full Member

i'm not to worried about keeping room. don't use the trunk all that much anyways.

I want 4 because of the ohm load of the svc parralled. i wouldn't mind having two dvc subs seeing that i have two right now. i'm just thinking about trying something new. something thats not going to blow up on me after all the daily driving i do.

10. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

I believe he means that 4 DVC 2 ohm subs will give you a 1 ohm load. I'm not quite sure how it'd be wired, but it sounds right.

11. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

well if he ment that why did he say elementals?

they only come in DVC 4ohm

the Hollywood Excursions come in DVC 2hom

and I could see if I can get you some of the Edge Seriers they come in 4ohm SVC too

12. ASM

ASM Full Member

The new K series comes in dual 2 also. http://www.edesignaudio.com/ep/kseries.htm

13. bmas1

bmas1 Full Member

How can you wire four dvc 2ohm subs in to a 1 ohm load?

14. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

4 2ohm DVC subs is the same as having 4 4ohm SVC subs

Wire each subs in Series and then the Group in parrallel