Sub Woofer in old Camaro

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by dallam1, Jan 28, 2011.

1. dallam1

dallam1 New Member

Gents; I'm working on my old 4/speed Camaro. It's has an old Pioneer cassette stereo that still plays surprising well so, I would like to keep it in the auto for nostalgia purposes. My question is how can I wire a sub woofer into the stereo which has no RCA connect cables but two sets of wires to connect the front and rear speakers. I realize I will need some sort of amplifier to drive the single woofer which I believe I can accomplish fairly easily but where do I get the woofer signal from? ...if I tie the woofer into, lets say, the rear speakers then doing so might null out the stereo effect because the woofer is mono. Am I way off base here? Thankshttp://www.caraudiotalk.com/audio-forum/images/smilies/confused.gif

2. Lazy Eye

Lazy Eye Full Member

you can get an loc (line out converter) you can find them at wal-mart they're a little blue box in the car stereo section.

3. 6.5ldiesel

6.5ldiesel Full Member

I do not recommend going to walmart for anything car audio, they carry scorche and I haven't had anything worse then that brand

Go to a local car audio shop and get a LOC, they aren't expensive to cheap out on going to walmart...

4. Lazy Eye

Lazy Eye Full Member

I wouldn't get anything else there but I've used these in a few installs for people and they actually work pretty well. In my dad's truck I used one that came from sonicelectronix and it didn't work as well

5. dallam1

dallam1 New Member

OK....but whats a LOC line out converter? and what wires are involved in hooking this unit up? Is it similar to the 'RCA converter' box that you solder the output speaker wires from the old cassette stereo onto then plug the other end of the 'box' that has RCA cables into the Amplifier. Sorry, for all of the basic questions but I'm yearning to hear BB King with a little thump behind it while cruising in my old ride!

6. connerray2010

connerray2010 Full Member

yes there similar. go with rca "box" it will work just fine, and its not LOC line out converter LOC is just short for line out converter. google line out converter or LOC and you should get simple install instructions.

7. connerray2010

connerray2010 Full Member

^ there, he done the easy part, now you order and do the labor lol wich isnt complex at all. it just hooks to the speaker wires at the back of the hu. i wana say the rear speaker wires but not sure