Split... Stevens speaker design

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Steven Kephart, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

It was definitely a good post. And I would definitely like to meet you some day as well. :bye:

He has brought forth a lot of good information on other threads. And I did respect his manner in this discussion, up until he started making those baseless accusations. I was rather surprised at that. It's too bad he won't admit that he is wrong.

BTW, you still need to let me know what you think of my idea. :detective: I figure you would have the knowledge to let me know what problems would be present, and what causes them.

2. trifle

trifle Full Member

well isn't that just a BIT straightforward.... :p

3. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Oh yes, the idea!
    That's really interesting, actually...
    I unfortunately don't have a lot of knowledge on that particular type - you know what I mean - of driver...

BUT

I spent about 6 hours in Vegas with Dan Wiggins and Chris Brunhaver (Sales Manager - but don't let the title fool you, he's deep in knowledge also), and we somehow got on the topic of unity horns...

And damn, if that didn't hit me right there and make me actually think of your idea. B)
    Seriously, if you haven't already, search the web for information on "unity horn" designs.

Same in appearance in many ways (I'm sure the one type of similarity will pop out at you), but I think different in your goals... if I understand the role of the three discrete parts in your diagram anyway... let me know if I'm on track. ;)

4. Steven Kephart

I've spent a lot of time talking to him on the phone about different stuff. That boy is long winded, but a very nice and smart guy.

BTW, you should have brought up my idea to Dan. I have discussed this with him, so he knows about it. But maybe you guys could have taken the idea much further than where it is now. Plus it would be kind of neat to know that two of the leaders in the industry are talking about one of my ideas at CEMA. B)

Very similar, but different. I think my idea wouldn't need multiple drivers or a very large horn. In fact I think I can get by with something very small. Air pressure will be supplied by the fan/compressor, and the single high excursion driver would just excite the moving air to produce the music. What's nice is frequency response could be adjusted by changing the fan speed, and could make up for any nonlinearity in frequency response from the "exciter".

What limits bandwidth in drivers? Cone area, inductance, and limited excursion. I figure cone area is taken care of by the fan, inductance is taken care of by the small driver, and the use of a large excursion driver should provide plenty of low frequency extention. But probably to make it practical, a subwoofer would be needed.

What I'm not sure about is any problems with wind noise in the tube, or anything else I don't know about will be present. I read on JL Audio's web site that if I round over the front of the tube, I shouldn't have that wistling noise. But would it sound muffled? If so, what would be causing it?

For all those that aren't privy to this, here is a picture of what I am talking about:
    [​IMG]

The fan is on the left, blowing into a tube. A small, high excursion driver is mounted perpendicular and excites the moving air coming from the fan. This hopefully produces a highly efficient full range driver free from IMD.

Please give me your thoughts.

5. systempimp_1500

systempimp_1500 Full Member

Well Mr. Sir that's a pretty cool idea.

The theory of bumping a flat signal up by using another device under it (in your

case, a speaker) is a lot like some flat panel speakers. They shot across a

flat wave, and lazers from the under it bump it up in certain parts. They just dont

really do well below 400hz.

Neato misquito though.

Chris, wanna PM me your personal Email addy? I have something I wanna discuss

w/ you........

Jeff

6. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

:unsure: :love: :kiss:

You fellas need a room? :lol:

This old wire debate is really weak. No offence Steven, but the topic is so played I can't stand to read the origional thread.

As long as you have appropriate wire for the required current/voltage to travel freely, you will not notice any differance. I got good enough ears I suppose (I can hear a dog whistle), but I can't hear a mouse fart. Bottom line, the differances are that mouse fart to our ears... undetectable, and totally worthless to argue about. If you go and hook a 16 Ga wire in a system as exreem as mine, you may hear a differance when compared to the 8 Ga I use. But here you are dealing with high output levels, far greater than most SQ apps (and we all know the SPL guys don't give a crap about the wire they are using and it's effect on reproduction ;) ). By the way, you should see the 12 Ga wire I had in there jumping when the current passed through the wire with each sub hit. It jumped about 1/2 an inch... Pretty damn cool to see what 1700 watts will do to a little wire near a magnet ;) .

The only thing I can think of that is really worth argueing about is that I have seen some extreem RCA's (about $65 a 10 foot set) that were overly shielded. Strange, you would not think it was possible, but they actually induced noise in a system where there was none with the standard RF Twisted pair set ($12 for 16 feet) that was in the same car, same system, same location just prior to the swap...

By the way, I reinstalled the old RF set and am still using them in my Nat to this day ;).

7. systempimp_1500

systempimp_1500 Full Member

.....I got good enough ears I suppose (I can hear a dog whistle), but I can't hear a mouse fart....... [/b][/quote]
    Yeah, that'd have to be a pretty bigass mouse :lol:

Jeff

8. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

Ummmmmmmm......

that looks a lot like a simple case where we could apply
    active noise cancellation in ducts... just add microphone
    and an ANC controller.... lol

Anyways,
    I really don't understand how the fan is supposed to work
    to help.

Also, sound would travel 'upwards' towards the fan as well.

noise from the air passing thru the tube wouldn't be your
    only concern - fans themselves create a lot of noise from
    turbulence around the fan blades, as well as just the motor
    turning.

Can you explain the idea better?

9. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Honestly, that's what I'm trying to wrap my head around.

Sound is travelling air pressure fluctuations...
    the difference in pressure between the high pressure nodes and the low pressure nodes defines the amplitude of those nodes, correct?

If so, picture a speaker moving in and out, in a sealed box.
    When the cone moves out, it pressurized the air in front of the cone, and when it moves back, it depressurizes the air. So in that case, the speaker's excursion levels define the amplitude (SPL) of the sound. (bearing in mind of course that the higher you go in frequency, the less excursion is required to produce the same decibel level of sound ;))

In this case, you still have a speaker, moving in and out, whose excursion would still define the amplitude of the signal, because it's the only thing stimulating it?

What do you think, Steven?

10. Steven Kephart

You guys sure do have sick minds. I just figured I could learn a lot from him.

This really wasn't about hearing differences in speaker wires really, but what size speaker wire to use for sub. It also got into the debate of running ground wires all the way to the battery.

BTW, if you want one of the most technical discussions on RCA's, check this thread out. It's Dan discussing different RCA's noise resistance with people like David Navone and many other very intelligent people. It's a very good read.

11. Steven Kephart

It is probalby because I didn't explain where this idea came from on this thread.

The idea is to have it work similar to a wind or brass instrument. In those instruments, someone provides the air (the fan) and either uses their lips or a reed to stimulate that air (the speaker). The benifit is that the speaker will be able to play many more frequencies than the instruments, and therefore hopefully be able to work like a full range speaker.

I figured the backside would have to be enclosed somehow to get rid of unwanted noises. I know you can find fans that are VERY quiet, so I don't think that will be a factor. The other option if it came down to it would be using compressed air to either reduce noise or produce enough air pressure if needed. Unfortunately that would be somewhat unpractical.

12. Steven Kephart

That's what I figured, that the fan would have the greatest effect on amplitude, and not the "exciter" (speaker). So maybe the fan part should work more like a servo motor and be hooked up to the amplifier. I know that servo drivers can't work in high frequencies, but if it isn't producing the sound, but just the "excursion", then maybe it would in this sense. Did I just invent the first full range servo driver? :blink:

13. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

you're right, the fan would have to pull as well as push air

so what would the exciter speaker do? i dont see it having
    to do much of anything

14. Steven Kephart

I think the Cyclone proves that you can't get high frequencies. They are limited to sub bass frequencies. I figure the "exciter" will vibrate the air, producing those small changes in pressure Geo mentioned above.

15. Steven Kephart

Now that I think about it, I don't think it needs to have the "fan" be a push pull arangement. With musical instruments, they provide a constant outward pressure, not in and out. Well this would work the same way. Remember with higher frequencies, the pressure differences are much less. And when you think about it 3 dimentionally, it still works. What happens is that the exciter pushes on the air that is moving in front of it. This slows it down a little, sometimes moreso than others. This will effect the pressure of the air moving out, and produce sound.

If it helps, this is Dan's reply to my idea:

As I told him, cathedral size tubes don't work well in kick pannels. :D

16. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

So the way you are talking about air movement seems akin to AC electricity vs DC electricity...

Air moving out of a fan is very DC-like.. one direction, however much air the fan can move.

Air moving off a speaker cone is very AC-like... two directions, the quantity of air the speaker cone can move being a function of how far the speaker moves peak to peak, repeatedly.

Sound is AC-like...
    A fan blowing doesn't make any sound (although it's fun to talk through one! :D).

If your goal was to make a fan that would blow, and switch directions in accordance with the frequency played, you would probably end up back at the simple loudspeaker. ;)

But back on track...
    In your drawing, how does the fan contribute to the output?
    If the speaker is the source of all the pressure fluctuations, the speaker is defining the amplitude.

Possibly you could build it to use the 1-way wind to make tones, but it would be like an organ pipe then.. controlled whistling, literally.
    And you'd need the 'driver" to manipulate some sort of device to change the tone accurately... and you'd be limited to only reproducing one tone at a time. ;)

17. Steven Kephart

Very good analogy. But I think instruments prove that you can produce "AC" out of "DC" by using some sort of controled exciter (lips or reed and controled holes to change air speed). Air speed in the instruments effect the frequency played, but they are limited to very few "notes". You could almost think of them as digital with a poor DAC. A speaker isn't limited to those notes and acts more analog, so it should be able to produce the full frequency response.

The point of this was to figure out a way around IMD. I figured if you could make something that has the precision of speakers, but would produce frequencies down to hopefully 100 Hz (if not lower), then you will eliminate MANY problems you find in seperate speakers. I know you are a big fan of point source designs, so you should know what I mean. :yes: The point is to get closer to a perfect reproduction of the source material.

I suppose what you would get is similar to a horn loaded driver. The benifit is that you won't need the horn, and efficiency, bandwidth, and frequency response hopefully will be increased. I suppose it would be similar to adding more excursion to that horn loaded driver so low end and output are increased to reduce the throat and mouth size, but without the problems that may come up if you did that to an HLCD.

Does that make sense?

Would that be a description of how instruments play? And honestly, is that much different in how music is in reality? Does a HLCD produce two different frequencies at once? Or does it play one frequency, and another so fast as to make it sound like they were played together to our brains? From what I see of a graph of music, it is one line that moves up and down, quickly or slowly to reproduce all the different frequencies and harmonics in the source material.

Or is my thinking on this wrong? It definitely could be.

18. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

but pipes are fixed length... you'd need a whole set of them to reproduce
    the range of frequencies you want...

for something like a clarinet, you have the reed producing vibrations
    but it's changing the length of the pipe (covering the holes) that
    changes the frequencies coming out of it

19. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

An HLCD works pretty much like a regular speaker (i think)
    in that it has a diaphragm moving back and forth... reproducing
    a signal sent to it which is a sum of all the frequencies being
    played...

Ever hear of the superposition of waves?
    two tones being played can add up so if effect, you're receiving
    one wave, but your brain separates the frequencies and still
    interprets it as two tones playing

20. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Sorry fellas. That was getting way off topic. Also, I really feel like the direction this has gone is definately deserving of it's own topic.

Also I must appologise for the fact that some posts may not make alot of sense. I am able to move complete posts, I am not able to split them up. So if something seems off, just ignore it ;)...

Carry on please. This is actually very interesting.