SPL question

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by monster71, Aug 23, 2010.

1. monster71

monster71 Full Member

Something i have never understood. In my current set up when I open my trunk the bass almost doubles. I understand that when I roll the windows down i am basically makng a port for my big box (the big box being my car interior) Is it basically the same thing when i pop the trunk? But i have had a few setups when i open the trunk i lose bass. I m confused.

2. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

Does the bass double inside the car or back by the trunk?Have you had those setups in the same car?Every car is different.Is the bass trapped in the trunk or do you have a fold down back seat?If the bass is trapped I can see it getting louder when it's open(like a big port).

3. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

The box is not tuned to work with the car. Low frequency waves are long, very long. It is not able to completely develope in the closed up car. So when you open a window, the low frequency wave has room and it gets louder.

The fix, build a box designed to work in the car.

4. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

my sub bass gets louder when i open up both windows too, but still sounds good when they are up.

my box is right at 4 cubes tuned to 30HZ. right at RE sx specs. if i want the same "open window" out put with closed windows would that mean a huge box?

5. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

phase cancellation...end of story.....

and yes ranger is correct

6. monster71

monster71 Full Member

I may b crazy (well may doesnt quite cover it) but I swear I have better bass in the cool weather than in the warm weather-meaning better bass on the morning commute than the drive home. Anyone else notice this?

7. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

Its because the coils are cooler. Heat = bad performance in about everything.

8. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Anaother factor in this is the higher the temp and humidity levels, the less dense the air is. sound travels better in more dense air, such as a cold winter morning. Not a nightand day difference, but is a factor. Ask an experienced pilot about this phenomenon. Its especially effects smaller aircraft with high wing loadings.

9. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

100% correct

Thats why we would run the AC before competing. Get the interior of the car as cold as possible.