sound proofing worth it?

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Speakers' started by jcrew3002, Jun 16, 2006.

1. jcrew3002

jcrew3002 Full Member

is that sound damping stuff really worth it on a new car? i know older cars like 1990s and stuff may need it do to alot of ratling and wear but on a new say 2004 would you need something like that seeing as the car is new and most likely pretty sound proof to start with. if it is worth it im very motivated to do all 4 doors and rip up the carpet too:D but how much square ft is that for the average sedan? this stuff cost about $100 for 12 square ft:eek: but is it relatively easy to pull up the carpet, im not a newb at dismantiling a car but i never took a carpet up before. isnt it glued to the floor?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2006
  2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

No the carpets not glued. And the stuff works really well. In my own truck I have it on the doors, the roof and the floors. It really makes a big difference. In my car (wifes car) I have it on the front doors and on the floor. In the Mercury I noticed a huge difference as far as the reduction in road noise. It was like night and day.

I know it pricey but its well worth it

3. CadillacETC1997

CadillacETC1997 Well-Known Member

Buy A Caddy Rofl
    plenty of sound deadening from the factory on EVERYTHING!!!!

4. jcrew3002

jcrew3002 Full Member

whoa you must be rich Ranger SVO ill be lucky if i can sound proof one door a month. i guess it is worth it, is there a way to get it professoinly installed at like a auto shop or auto body shop how much do you think it will cost? but seeing as im not a newb at dissmanteling a car should i just do it myself? do caddys really have factory sound proof?

and another thing do you think a 2000 BMW is factory sound proofed already? my bro has one and ill take a ride in it just to test how quiet it is. i think it may be because when you stomp on the gas you dont get that loud high RPM noise like when i stomp the gas on my elantra, i think the engine compartment on those are sound proofed or something

i edit alot lol: also do you think 27 square feet would be enough for a whole car? thats all four doors the floor pan and posibly under the rear seats and roof. 27 sq ft is alot

Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  5. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I think that the doors is the most important part. Get them first. Especially the front doors. If you have rear speakers in the deck get it next.

As far as the floor (especially if you don't feel comfortable dimantalling your car) Just get the areas in front of the front seats. That should be a big improvement.

Yes Beemers are sound proofed well from the factory. But there is always room for improvement.

No I am not rich, I work in a car audio shop and I get a lot of stuff at cost. If its for Demo I get it much cheaper. I attend a local Christian University and I pay around $965 per class, I take 2 classes per semester, thats 4 classes a year. I have NO extra money

donations will be accepted send them to .................lol

6. jcrew3002

jcrew3002 Full Member

wow you save money well, i make about 735 every 2 weeks part time, not alot but makes no excuse for having only about $10 left come next pay week, i cant save a penny it just slips away lol, so i will sound deadin the front doors 1st, also i found some stuff on ebay called 100 sq FT. FATMAT SOUND DEADENER. ever heard of this stuff, its super cheap at $100, think its a scam?

7. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

If you want cheap than i'd say brown bread.

Others will say another deadener but the bread is just my opinion.

8. jcrew3002

jcrew3002 Full Member

about how good is it compared to the top notch stuff?

9. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Compared to top notch like Second Skin...it's about midline...but it'll get the job done if applied correctly...could put two layers of it.

B-Quiet Ultimate is the newer version of Brown Bread but for the price you can't really beat it...100 square feet of it is like $119 on the site but for 36 square feet of dynamat extreme is like $194

10. ramos

ramos Full Member

Hey now , I use brown bread all the time. Works great, sticks like a sob. But like any deadener it's all in the prep work. Make sure you clean the area your going to apply it to well. Remove all dirt, and grease. Work with the deadener while it's warm. Makes it a lot more flexable. :)

11. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Glad to see someone else who likes brown bread...I like Sarah Lee Bread more though...:D

12. ramos

ramos Full Member

I'm to poor for name brand bread . Store brand ftw :)

13. weird22person

weird22person Full Member

Canadian white bread all the way! At least Canada is good for something.:D

14. cool9

cool9 Full Member

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  15. ibanezFreak87

ibanezFreak87 Full Member

I've used dynamat extreme on my trunk lid, rear valance, and two front doors. Since it's so expensive, i haven't done more. but If I could, I would. I would do my whole car. I recommend it, but look around and buy in bulk, when your using it, it goes fast.

16. cool9

cool9 Full Member

I have an awful lot of insulation and styrofoam (thick) in my doors. And I only have small 4x6 Infinity plate speakers in there. Is it worth it to add soundproofing? I don't think I'm going to hear a difference. I have a Pontiac
    Sunfire.

When you're adding soundproofing is to:
    1. Dampen the sound outside the car
    2. Dampen sound coming out of the back of the speaker and bouncing around.
    3. Both.

17. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Improves bass response also.