Something I found for Cort ;)

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by sandt38, Oct 1, 2003.

1. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

[​IMG]

Hehehe. I saw that on CAF and needed to put that up for you man!!!

**note** this is not meant as me bagging on the W7. I think anyone who knows me, knows how awesome I think the W7 is... It is strictly for a goof**

2. l2idin_spinners_42o

l2idin_spinners_42o New Member

Question for ya seth from what i hear you have installed or was goin to install a w7 and a brahma 12 to compare them. Just wondering your opinion on which was a better sub

My friend is all big on all the JL products and all he ever talks about is how bad he wants the new w7. He is always raggin on me bout my brahma 10 saying that the w7 would waste it.

3. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I've done quite a bit of listening with both woofers actually.

The 13W7 is an absolutely awe inspiring woofer. It is almost frightening to hear this big bastard in action. It pounds absurdly loud and quick. This is amoung the very best superwoofers in the world, without a doubt. I felt the transients of the B12 were a bit better, but the depth the 13W7 goes sealed is humbleing to a sealed Brahma 12. I felt the transients of the Brahma were enough to keep it in line with the 13W7 if I ported the B12, but the low extention I could gain should be tremendous. I feel I was right, and the B12 in the relatively small ported box does very well with depth and transients, and gets louder.

I do not have the pleasure of having had my hands on the B15, which is a closer competitor to the 13W7, so on that I cannot comment. As of next spring, I should be ready to go with my SPLCamino project which will house the Tumult, tuned to 30Hz ;). So I will be glad to compare the Tumult with the 13W7 (unless Dan has some extra 15s laying around he wants to let me abuse :D).

With all that being said, the 13W7 does not roll off as quickly as the Brahma does. It maintains a better midbass punch then the Brahma. However these are subwoofers, so I don't ask mine to pound out over 65Hz or so.

The 12W7, well... I have yet to be really impressed by the driver. I have heard numerous installs both sealed and ported and have yet to hear one I really sit back and say "wow" about. I know Cort's experiance with the 12W7 is limited to the JL ported enclosures, but I also know that with his experiance he feels the same way as I do about the woofer. It is very fatiguing, overly punchy, exceptionally aggressive, and needs a big ass box to get humpin well :ph34r: . I can honestly and easily say, I can think of a number of less expensive woofers I would rather have in my car.

The Brahma 12 sealed or ported wins hands down against the 12W7 in SQ and SPL in similar alignments... no doubt.

The 10W7 is the little woofer that can, and will. It is an awe inspireing little woofer. It does not sound like a little 10 in output, or depth... but the transients are astounding for an 8!!! Within the next couple weeks I will have a Brahma 10 here, and we are going to play with the 10W7 Cort has, and the Brahma 10 I will be recieving... doing a head to head. I am hoping we will do a same car/same amp/same alignment comparison as my trunk has all the room and plenty of power to roast up both these bad boys. Untill then I will have to be quiet about the B10 Vs 10W7 as my info is second hand. However, I am hoping Cort is so impressed with the B10, that he decides to go with it ;)... If I can convert Cort, I will be able to convert anyone...

OK, I guess I mean if Adire can convert Cort... :p

4. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

good one seth. you almost got me mad.. hehe.

Nah, i'm not bothered too much by that. Looking at the date on that, that seems to be about the time that pretty much everybody was bagging on the w7, so blah blah blah.. :blink:

Its good for laughs though indeed.

5. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

If you convert Cort...i'll...i'll, hell i dunno.

6. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Am I the only one here that loves punchy bass?
    I would probably like low end a lil more if my car didnt completely distort any sign of it. GOD I HATE THIS FUCKING CIVIC! Im not even gonna bother trying to sound deaden, EVERYTHING in the car is rattling and I mean everything. What to do what to do what to do...........

7. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Nope, i prefer punchy bass myself. Courtney does too.

8. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Is the Brahma or the EDA meant to be more punchier ;) than an IDMAX or are they a little more oriented to the other dimension of bass?

Is anyone interested in the " Deaden my Civic" Project? I buy everything, you just have to install it for me. Ill buy you food, drinks, and the occasional blunt :D

9. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

it about time you ricers learned :lol:

10. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

it about time you ricers learned :lol: [/b][/quote]
    I never said it was slow, thisc car runs 10s in the 1/4 mile. Its just a little sick and tneds to convulse with bass around :D

11. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

Is the Brahma or the EDA meant to be more punchier ;) than an IDMAX or are they a little more oriented to the other dimension of bass?

Is anyone interested in the " Deaden my Civic" Project? I buy everything, you just have to install it for me. Ill buy you food, drinks, and the occasional blunt :D [/b][/quote]
    Well, im not sure about the idmax, though im very interested in hearing one. I know the brahma isn't meant to be a punchy woofer for the most part. The ED A is a punchy woofer through and through from what i understand, and the w7 is punchy, but i dont think its too punchy. I've found it to be a good overall woofer. Its punchy when it needs to be (which is most of the time for me :D ), while subdued and laid back at times.

12. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

:p The IDMAX is so damn punchy!

When you are sitting in the back It can very easily get painful if I crank the volume up to like 17 lol. It just pounds on your chest and back......Love it!

Anyways, I hate to keep going back to this but I need advice on removingt those pesky rattles. I was crying before how everything was rattling so I decided to put it to and end. My biggest problems were with the rear deck and the trunk. It took me about 10 minutes to find the problem at hand and with some mighty taping and isulator work the problem was solved. I spent the next hour and a half trying to do something about the trunk. I can swear to you that I took apart every last thing I reach. I began insulating what I thought would be the problem but the results were minimal if any. I narrowed the rattling down to the actual trunk lid. I noticed that behind the license playe is a big plastic peice and when I put pressure against it from the outside all the rattling vanished. It took me 15 minutes to take off that fucking peice :angry: and once I did, I put the volume up to 15 and close the trunk.
    LO AND BEHOLD the rattling was still there. I pressed on the same spot, now with the cover missing and the rattling went away. There is one sweet spot that when you apply pressure to it the rattling goes away. The rattling also goes away if I put some of my weight on top of the trunk lide from the outside. I put the piece back on, insulated it just incase and retired.

It seems as if the rattling is coming someplace b/w the dual metal layer of the trunk lid.

Does anyone know what the hell I should do? SHould I just buy a sound deadening trunk kit? Will it do anything??????

:blowup:

;)

13. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

<------- no help. car rattles like hell

14. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

is "finally see the Adire light" the term you were looking for :p

15. l2idin_spinners_42o

l2idin_spinners_42o New Member

Yeah civic i had tha same problems with my car i first started with the rear deck as you did and fixed that problem when i got to tha trunk i bought some foam spray crap and put it on tha trunk lid that seemed to help a lil bit, then i built a lil wall that was bout 6in tall and 5in deep that went up against my trunk were the latch is then i simply put some foam insulatin crap in tha middle of it through some carpet on tha puppy she was good to go. ;)

16. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Thats so funny because I was thinking of doing the exact same thing. When you put up the wall did you notice a difference in the overall sound? I imagine the SQ stayed the same but did it sound quiter?

Edit: A bit confused here..........
    I was thinking of making a wall that was much taller than that and essentially cutting off the sub from the trunk lid, you know have the sub pounding away at the piece of wood. Do you have a picture of this project? Did you glue the piece of wood to the trunk??? ;)

17. trifle

trifle Full Member

is "finally see the Adire light" the term you were looking for :p [/b][/quote]
    well it sure as hell wasn't gonna be pick out a new pioneer deck :lol:

18. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

well it sure as hell wasn't gonna be pick out a new pioneer deck :lol: [/b][/quote]
    ^^warning, Alpine whore above^^
    :lmfao: