So how exactly do they work?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by caylorray, Nov 22, 2002.

1. caylorray

caylorray Full Member

I've been pondering the question "How does a speaker produce sound?" for quite some time. I
    understand the basics. Vibration creates sound waves which travel pass your ear, and is translated into
    sound. I also understand frequencies, the faster they move, the higher the pitch, and vice/versa. So a
    speaker creates sound waves by moving back and forth (vibrating) at controlled frequencies. But the
    part I DON'T understand is how one speaker can produce a range (more than one) of frequencies at
    the same time. My understanding is that any given object resonates at a certain frequency, and
    produces sound waves relative to that frequency, and only that frequency. Granted you "force" a
    speaker to resonate. Never-the-less, how can a speaker, which seems to me can only move at one
    speed (frequency) in any given moment, produce more than one frequency? How can a woofer
    produce 5 khz and 6 khz at the same time? Why is it not physically impossible for a speaker cone to
    move at two different speeds at the same exact moment? SCHOOL ME! :)

Is there an auto-wrap feature that I'm not aware of in this forum?

2. whiteghetto

whiteghetto Full Member

You are correct that the speaker can only produce one sound at a time

That is why it is customary to have atleast 3 diff speakers in a system
    the tweeter, for highs
    the mid, for well mids :)
    and the woofer, for sub or low bass

that way you can get clarity out of yoru music/sound

3. caylorray

caylorray Full Member

I already understand why different size speakers are used for different frequency ranges. And actually,
    a speaker CAN and DOES re-produce different frequencies at the same time, I just don't know how it
    does it!