Small Ported Box

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by deyton, Dec 14, 2003.

1. deyton

deyton Full Member

I've been playing around in WinISD, I've found that with the Shiva, a ported box tuned very low has almost the same graph as a same-sized sealed box, just translated 3dB up.

graph

Yellow is 2 cubes sealed, LP at 65. Green is 2 cubes @ 22hz, LP at 80.

Will there be any disadvatage to this? Of course the box will be slightly larger than sealed due to the port displacement, but everything else looks good. Group delay is decent, and cone excursion is way down.

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I personally love the Shiva sealed. The extension is amazing, and the output is, for a $125 woofer, striking.

2 feet sealed, 250 to 300 watts.

But that is just my opinion. What is the primary goal for the system? SPL or SQ. What music do you prefer?

3. deyton

deyton Full Member

I'm going for 100% SQ. I listen mostly to hard rock and metal, with the odd rap cd mixed in. I was set on sealed, but I like the thought of getting nearly identical response with half the power and half the cone excursion.

cone excursion graph (Sealed with 300W, vented with 150)

I suppose the easiest way to compare is build the vented box and plug the port, seeing as I already have the shiva and and an amp :D. If only I wasn't so lazy...