Sirius // VW GTI

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by FASTBACK340, Nov 23, 2007.

1. FASTBACK340

FASTBACK340 New Member

First a fast HELLO is in order. I'm a board member over at one of Joeys other sites and learned of this forum. My name is John and I'm a technician for Nissan that owns old Moaprs with a question about Sirius in a VW GTI. :huh:

Me and my wife have Sirius in all of our cars, but my wife's 2004 GTI has terrible reception. It's not a satellite signal, it's in-car. I've moved the antenna from the rear hatch to the center of the roof up front by the windshield, to the rear of the roof behind the factory antenna. I've run the in-car antenna from the satillite head under the console for the car radio several times, and I've tried removing the factory antenna and using different FM frequency's to tune in the Sirius signal (88.5- 88.3- 107.8.... all "dead" stations) The probelem is bleed-through from other broadcasts. In the middle of a song you'll hear a local station coming through also (imagine Jonny Cash melding with Slipknot....) My wife is cool... but she's getting cranky. Especially when we hop in my `74 Dart and I get PERFECT reception!

I've changed from a Sportster satellite head to a Starmate and I've tried 3 different (Sirius...) antenna's. Does anybody have a suggestion for a fix? Is there a better way to advoid bleed-through? It's almost as if the car's stereo is "too good" and sucks in EVERY station being broadcast. Help...

2. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Welcome! fm transmitters will cause that, best to hardwire it. The antenna is probably ok.

3. FASTBACK340

FASTBACK340 New Member

Ummm... Thanks for the help.....:rolleyes:

4. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

The FCC decided a couple of years back that the power needed to be reduced in those FM transmitters. The Volkswagon antenna is very well shielded, so the only way to fix the problem is to do what was suggested. Use an FM modulator. But the sound quality of modulators is questionable.

Maybe you can use an aux input. Directly pumping the sound into your radio might be the answer.

Check this out
    http://peripheralelectronics.com/techPDFs/5Audio-Auxiliary_Input_Interface/Audio-Auxiliary_Input.pdf

VW's are a different breed so I would pay a visit to a local audio shop for more info