Simplest iPod Amplification for Sailboat?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by OrangeCrush, Mar 14, 2011.

1. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush New Member

Hello all,

This is my first time posting here, so thanks in advance for any help you can give me with what may be an unconventional inquiry.

I have a small sailboat and I am trying to install a simple stereo system. All I really want is 4 speakers to play from an ipod. I plan on cutting some holes and installing 4 waterproof speakers, two outside and two in the cabin. I would rather not use a conventional stereo receiver (deck?) for a few reasons. First, I really don't need CD or AM/FM functions. Second, boat battery life is a constant struggle and I want to minimize power drain. And most importantly, I really don't have any place to mount a receiver because they all need at least 6 or 8 inches of depth. There is only about 3 inches worth of space between the layers of fiberglass in the cabin if I were to mount it anywhere convenient.

Is there some simple amplifier or receiver device that can just amplify from a auxiliary connection (ipod) to the speakers? I could cut a hole and mount it in the cabin if it were shallow enough, or just bolt it somewhere out of sight and run the aux cable to where I keep the iPod. I would wire it up to the circuit panel on the boat so I could turn it on and off even if it were out of reach.

The people I've spoken to so far seem to think I need a real deck of some kind, but I think there should be some simpler fix. Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

interesting, did several boats years ago, but never a sail boat! Using a small amp (20 wattsx2) run to 4 speakers should give you the sound you want....nothing tear your face off loud, just some nice background music you can hear.....

Using a ipod to RCA cable (with approproiate adaptors) Will do the trick, just feed the audio signal to the amp, and use the ipod volume to control the level. A small amp such as this should not tax your battery toooooo much. But be aware that over several hours the battery will be "dead"....

This is just a quick suggestion and Not sure if your in a saltwater enviorment or not....that may call for a slightly different technique...