Signal Path

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by madstamm, Feb 27, 2004.

1. madstamm

madstamm Full Member

Ciao ...

I've been taking mostly analog electronics during my degree, but I have to admit that digital filters take the cake nowadays in terms of audio control... (if you have ANY sort of budgetary constraints that is)

anyway, I've been looking around for a decent HU/Processor combo with digital processing right to the amps. What I'd like:

Simple HU with MP3 capability and digital output

Digital input capable Processor with following functions (all digital up to analog outputs):

12+ bands of EQ, preferably adjustable Q.
    3-4-way crossover, completely flexible crossover frequencies and slopes

basically something like the P9 combo, but are there alternatives??? Rockford used to make a processor back in the day (EXP symmetry or something), but its like 10 years old.

Is there a processor out there that doesnt need a brand-compatible HU? I just dont want the HU dying on me in 3yrs, making the processor useless without it.... (my only real beef w/ the P9, otherwise I'd buy it)

Any help is appreciated... much obliged in any case (great forum you have here!),

Mike
    http://mstamm.imgaming.com

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

The first thing that came to my mind was the P9, but I see you beat me to it :)

Here is the Alpine, it is integral though. I am not too sure how easy it will be to find a unit that is not. This unit far surpasses what you require.

Also try looking for Denon. I went to their site, but I see nothing of CA. I am surprised. Maybe someone else has a link?

3. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

4. madstamm

madstamm Full Member

thanks for the 12Vdirectory-link! went and had a look at audio control's website... anyone have experience with the AudioControl DQX?

I just realized that unless the units are integral, digital in isnt possible unless the processor controls volume as well (no volume info in a standard S/PDIF signal)...

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/spdif.html

... and then the HU sort of becomes useless!

Hm.. makes you think they should decide on a mobile-audio standard digital bus with control signals.. something like CANBUS in industry.. nothing like that yet, hey?

dang... i really want digital all the way... so as a saving grace... are the different model years P9 combos cross-compatible? Ie can I have an '01 P9 HU and a '03 P9 EQ??

thnx,

Mike