Should I offer Free Shipping

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by The_Ancient, Dec 22, 2002.

1. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

When I first opened 3 or so years ago I offered Free Shipping on everything

Then I stopped because People would see site X offering Prodyct A $10 cheaper than me BEFORE shipping, and would want me to match Site X's price and give them free shipping, so they were basically wanting it 20-30 off

But When I reopen s4s after the first of the year with a whole new, and 10000x better site I am thinking about offering free shipping again, what do you think

Please Understand, as you should already know, it is not really "free" shipping as I have to pay for it so it is prefigured in to the price of the item, and every thing you see that has a "free" in it you are not really getting that free it is just prefigured in the cost of selling that item with the other "free" item

2. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

I definetely think you should have free shipping.
    Make sure it says free shipping nice and big someplace.
    When I saw that at Ikesound I was instantly hooked :)

3. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

even though you know it is not really "free" :D

4. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

yeah but I knew that was the final price and there would be no other charges

5. Snausages01

Snausages01 Full Member

Just list all the prices as shipped prices....

bc i hate when i go look at a site and it says 20.00 bucks for something then is like 15 bucks shipped....me i always goto the site with the best shipped prices

6. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

If you advertise free shipping, you won't be able to match prices very well, which could hurt you in the long run. It seems people seem to like the fact that they won't get jipped on shipping if the prices are marked including shipping costs. Personally, i would figure out a base shipping price for each type of item (i.e subs, component sets, amps, etc.) and list them very clearly on the site where people can do the math themselves. This would still give you the ability to match prices with other sites. That way you just wouldn't get raped on the pricematches.

7. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

on avg it take $15 per item to ship it

but heave subs like the JL W7 could be 35-50

also when you have more than one item that you can put in ONE box the cost per item drops so that is where it getts complicated

so I should not say "FREE SHIPPING" at all?

8. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Say "free shipping" but also say that there might be markdowns if something is bought in bulk or in pairs. That would take care of the price drop in shipping, or you can not even bring that up and make a few dollars on shipping as well :D

9. Snausages01

Snausages01 Full Member

i think you should just mark them all as shipped prices....although free shipping may catch the eye of a few more and seem apealing...

10. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

I still think you should make a generic price for shipping rates. Put an asterisk next to subs like the W7, and explain why it'll be more to ship. I just remember you having alot of problems when you posted the prices w/ shipping included.

11. Snausages01

Snausages01 Full Member

oh...i didnt know he did this before...what type of problems did he have? if you rember....and the onyl draw back i could there would be someone going to another site and seeing a cheaper price and forgetting shipping isnt included....

maybe do like some stores post the price on the site but once you add it to the basket and enter your zipcode it adds shipping

12. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

oh...i didnt know he did this before...what type of problems did he have? if you rember....and the onyl draw back i could there would be someone going to another site and seeing a cheaper price and forgetting shipping isnt included....

maybe do like some stores post the price on the site but once you add it to the basket and enter your zipcode it adds shipping[/b][/quote]
    that was the exact problem

Say I have a Kicker amp for $215, and then site Y has it for $200 plus shipping

The customer would want to use my price matching policy to get it for $200 and then expect free shipping on top of it :rolleyes:

13. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

that was the exact problem

Say I have a Kicker amp for $215, and then site Y has it for $200 plus shipping

The customer would want to use my price matching policy to get it for $200 and then expect free shipping on top of it :rolleyes:[/b][/quote]
    My point exactly. Having the ability to "Guarantee lowest price" is better than free shipping IMO.

14. PerryB

PerryB Guest

I always prefer to know what something will cost, with shipping(so you calculationg shipping into the cost would work nicely). Just put on the site that you price match(but the other price must also include shipping). If a prospective customer can't provide that, then you won't match.

15. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

I wish all of my customers thought like that

My Price matching policy has always beens I would match a shipped price, even when I did not have free shipping why, because some sites will put a Sub on there site for below cost, and then charge out the ass for Shipping to make there money, I dont do that...

16. The_spacemonkey

The_spacemonkey Full Member

As long as you state on the site that any matches are to a shipped price... I would definately go with the free shipping option. i hate having to put crap in a basket and get all the way to the last page of checkout before seeing that they are charging me $30 for shipping. Id rather just know its already been figured in.

I think your biggest problem with your site so far is I have YET to see a time where you had a site with a complete listing of your merch. It pisses me off when I come to the site to research prices for someone on CAF or something and you have a dead link to what I want. And you change the site so much, I dont think customers find that very appealing either. I think you need to come up with a nice solid visually appealing basis for your site, get all of your stuff listed, and from that point on, just change the merchandise pages and leave the main page alone.

thats just my 2 cents

17. spl_nut2

spl_nut2 Guest

18. lilflop04

lilflop04 Guest

Well as usual it would be really nice to offer the products with free shipping, but that doen't mean you have to advertise it. simply state once, shipping is free. Make you a price list with the total including shipping. I would like to see you offer this but I wouldn't becasue I know how hard it is to sell something with all this competition. I think you should do what you think is best for you.

19. 1967cutlass

1967cutlass Guest

i like the idea of free shipping because it will probably be even (price wise) or maybe less
    than ones that charge seperately for shipping, except you know how much you are going to pay which to me, is a lot better than putting in info or whatever to calculate shipping.

20. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member