Should I Go For It

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by KhaoticLE, Apr 20, 2004.

1. KhaoticLE

KhaoticLE Full Member

Hey CAT,
    Well i just surfing around on ebay and happen to found some Dynaudio 240GT...which i wanted!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3092216878&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3092321936&rd=1

as stated they are both suppose to be BRAND NEW!!!! :p
    So do you think the auction is legit for me to buy it or is it worth it??? i mean they seem pretty cheap!!!! but i also heard that there are some "fake" Dynaudio out there, scary :angry:

advice about online buying is great! :)
    Thanks,
    KhaoticLE

2. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

You can't do too much other than check feedback to protect yourself.
    Don't buy from anyone receiving less than raving reviews from past customers.

$250 isn't really cheap for a component set, either.. it's all relative to whatever they might be charging in a retail environment, and you'll always find people unloading products a few dollars above their cost.
    Bear in mind, also, you don't know what the price is.
    There's still 3.5 days left on that auction, and most people don't bid until the last day - last hour even - or risk driving the price of the auction up artificially, due to the early bidding. ;)

My suggestion is:
    Select with your ears, not your eyes.
    It doesn't matter what you read - someone else's "ideal fit for my application[/i] might not be an ideal fit for yours. ;)
    If you haven't heard these in person, in an application that was comparable to yours, I'd pass on them, personally.

A "bargain" is only a bargain, when the thing that you are receiving offers you better results than you would otherwise be able to get for the same amount of money...
    ...buying something for less than it's commonly available for, is no assurance of success. ;)

3. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Also, in that first pic...
    Isn't the mid supposed to have a cast basket?
    It doesn't match the picture on the box.
    Second auction doesn't even have pictures inside.

4. ASM

ASM Full Member

The GT model woofers don't have the same basket as their other drivers (like the one on the box). The basket is more like the one in the picture they took.

5. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

PErsonally, I wouldnt buy from someone with 23 feedback unless I knew that they were trustworthy. Not for something that expensive at least.

I normally wont give more than $100 to anyone less than 200 feedback or so.

6. KhaoticLE

KhaoticLE Full Member

Thank guys!!!
    I have listen to Dynaudio 220 MKII at the local store and i like how it sound...but compare to the Dynaudio 240GT, the GT mid is 6.5 and the 220 MKII mid is 5.75...so i dont think that would make much of a different....

Yup..its very tempting on ebay...i wouldn't want to buy these comps locally because they;re are high-end (ranged about $700-800 per pair)

online store such as http://www.cbrstereo.com/index.asp?PageAct...TS&Category=147 and http://www.woofersetc.com/subcatmfgprod.as...70&1=271&2=1085

i like woofsetc.com though...anyway, they are still pretty damn rich for my blood... :ranting:

unless i save up BIG TIME!!!! but again bill and bill and more bills.... :angry:
    i should ask for this guy http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3092321936&rd=1 to provide me with some more pictures and info because he got a lot of feedback......i wouldn't mind having it

Again, Thanks

7. KhaoticLE

KhaoticLE Full Member

Oh while im at ebay another item... LOL
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

problem with this one is that i don;t if i should buy this story:
    i asked him why was the package was damage....
    "Hi, The bubble pack is broken because when I went to store it, it was
    cold
    and the plastic broke on the top of it. The cap itself is in mint
    condition
    and has never been out of the packaging. I see no reason why this cap
    will
    not work, like I said, just the bubble pack is broken.

Thanks,

Chauncey"

the part..."it was cold and the plastic broke on the top of it".....he live in Minneapolis-St. Paul, i don't think the weather is bad enough to do that or can it???

Anyway, this is another really good deal...because i figure that i needed a cap in the system in the future and stinger made good cap. and this one cost a load else where!!!!

i wanted to buy off the necessary stuff (distribution block, rca...etc) for my system first....my system is still in progress :rolleyes:

KhaoticLE

8. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

Also note on the first one that he doesn't list shipping info. You could find out that he wants $100 "shipping and handling".

BTW, sorry for the spam but if you want a similar quality component set then check page 7 of my web site.

9. KhaoticLE

KhaoticLE Full Member

cool, i'll think about it!!!

BTW, nice pages.....so you selling those audio equipment..what are you upgrading to???

KhaoticLE

10. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

I am wasting my Breathe, but Feedback is Greatly Greatly Greatly Flawed

there are litterally thousands of Accounts Bought, Sold, or Hijacked Everyday, any/all of them can have Raving Reviews and then a Scammer Get them.....

Plus the Oldest Trick in the Book is to Buy and Sell cheap items on a Account to get the feedback up and then Scamm on the Big Stuff

Ebay is tooooooooooooo big of a Risk

2 things will happen

1. you will get a good deal but only save 10% over other Online Rebutable Dealer, but for your Trouble you may or maynot have the After Sale support you get from the Rebutable Online Dealer

2> you will THINK you go a great deal (80% off Retail -- 40%++ of anywhere online) only to get Blown, or worse yet a box of Rocks

11. KhaoticLE

KhaoticLE Full Member

Thank for words of advice guys!!! item that worth that much...i think i should stay away from ebay!!!

KhaoticLE

12. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Your first Ebay link there didn't work.
    The second one, the "expert series cap"...
    Buy it now price of $125? Good lord.

You can get a monitor top cap on ikesound.com for $45.
    I wouldn't even bother with a monitor top, you can get a standard 1F cap for under $40 there!

Granted, they carry some pretty cheesy brand names...
    But a cap is a cap is a cap...
    It's in parallel with your electrical system, and they are quite literally all manufactured at the same plant (there's actually only one that manufactures large can-style electrolytics with a 20v rating)... so if you don't like the logo, I'm pretty sure you can also safely fit a can of spraypaint into your budget as well, and still stay below what the twin brother costs at $125. ;)

13. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

I think I'll get me some metal plates... some dielectric material... and
    roll some caps of my own... I'll put an analog voltmeter on there too:D