Running system off battery

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Civic96, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

I remember Mike saying that you should never run your system when your car's engine is off. How long would I be able to listen to my system with the engine off before it seriously drains the battery? Would it be ok to listen to it for like 30 minutes at low volumes maybe once a week? ;)

2. squatchie

squatchie Full Member

As long as the voltage does not drop below about 12 volts, your amp should be fine and the battery shouldnt mind too much at all. As long as its not a Never-start.

:ph34r:

3. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Yeah, i'd say 30 mins at a time is fine. Your alternator will recharge it as soon as you start the car.

4. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Thanks

5. NaStYsTaNg05

NaStYsTaNg05 Full Member

you could always get a digital voltage meter or just a plain meter and see how low your voltage goes after listening to the system for a while and find out how long you can get away with it before needing a jump. personaly i perfer one of the jumper packs in your trunk....LOL ive used mine about acouple dozen times on my car and other cars needing a jump. its great! no need for those tangled cables or running time for the batery to charge up. the jumper you just conect the 2 cables flip the switch and start the car. its even female safe....LOL if you hook it up backwards it buzzes telling you "you jacked up"basicaly.LOL and lets face it how many people you seen with jumper cables with no toher car to jump off. or no cables. this way no one even needs to know you had a problem