Running Big 3 In My 1965 Mustang

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by DatDude08, Oct 16, 2009.

1. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

OK I ordered everything last night to upgrade the "big 3" in my 1965 mustang. I think I have everything planned correctly but maybe you guys will just make sure. I'm running 1/0 welding wire and Knu battery terminals and accesories.

What I am running:
    + Battery to + Solenoid
    + Solenoid to + Alternator
    - Battery to Engine Block
    - Alternator to Chassis

So really this is the big 4 I suppose :lol:, but this is correct, yes? And should I find some other ground than engine block for the battery?

2. jayz85

jayz85 Full Member

how many watts you going to be running? does your alt keep up riiight now?

3. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Funny story about the alt. in a minute lol
    I am only running about 500 watts but yeah the alt. does not really keep up. I just replaced the battery I had (which was super small) with a everstart maxx so that maybe I could survive with out the alternator upgrade for a little while. (Here's the funny/ironic part) Last night I was looking at alternators and accidentally ordered one :lol: so I'll be upgrading it soon haha.

I'll be putting a '94 Mustang alternator in now, all I got left to buy is the conversion kit. I still need comps and have been thinking of system upgrades so I don't know how many watts I plan to run final.

4. jayz85

jayz85 Full Member

how many amps is the one you ordered? shouldve order a high output for a 65 with the one wire setup it makes the install soooo easy

5. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Its 130 amp, i think around 95 amps at idle (which is 7x more than stock). I think it will be fine with whatever I throw at it.

The install is still easy, I've already been looking at how to do it. Just run power and one plug into the original harnes....seems simple enough.