RF vs Boston Acoustics

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by jqqqq, Aug 22, 2010.

1. jqqqq

jqqqq Member

I'm sure this question gets asked alot, but I'm planning on buying 4 speakers to replace my current stock speakers in my truck. Its come down to either the Rockford Fosgate Power T1682 speakers or the Boston Acoustics SC85 speakers. They're both basically the same price and have about the same RMS, so I just wanted to get some opinions.

2. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

I personally have not have not heard either set,but if my memory serves correct the sc85's are good sound quality(from what I've heard).

3. sbelew

sbelew Member

I am very new to this but I would like to offer my opinion. I have listened to both Rockfords and Bostons, in the same store using the same head unit and amp. I purchased the Boston SL80's about a year or so ago. I went back and listened again to them as well as some other brands and again I purchased another set of Bostons. This time the SR80's. The store I went to both times tried very hard to push the Rockfords, not sure why.
    I have a 99 Ford F150 extended cab. The SL80's are in the rear doors and the SR80's in the front, However, I am going to switch them. I feel the SR80's have a bit more output. Not sure if that is the correct word, but they seem stronger than the SL80's. I think it would balance the sound out better with the SR80's in the rear doors. The SL80's are a year old, but they were never used. I purchased them to install in another car I had but they wouldnt fit and I never returned them.
    I also liked the Infinity Kappa's. They sounded very bright, but I could have been happy with them as well. The Bostons seemed to me to sound more natural, smoother. I have them connected to a Pioneer head unit right now which is nothing great, it was in the truck. I will be replacing this with a Kenwood.
    As I said, I am not a pro and dont have years of experience with all the different brands. I did a lot of reading on the internet and some magazines, went and listened to the brands that seemed to be the best by concensus and made my choice. I listen to mostly 80's music and some kids songs when my 3yo son is in the truck and gets his hands on the ipod. I am installing my own system and am doing it step by step, very slowly.