Reciever/Audio Issues in 2006 Corolla S

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by revolutionhxc, Jul 30, 2010.

1. revolutionhxc

revolutionhxc New Member

I have a 2006 Corolla S with the JBL 6 speaker system.

I replaced the original receiver about a year ago with the JVC KD-HDR10 which worked great for a year. I got to work one day and everything was working fine and I came back out, started up the car and I had no audio. The receiver was working fine, I could perform all functions that I could before(play cd's, radio, switch sources, etc.) I just couldn't hear anything. When I turned the receiver off and back on I got could hear a noise come out of the rear speakers for 1/2 a second(just a pop), then nothing.

I thought that it couldn't be the speakers because the chances of all 6 speakers going out at one time isn't likely. I decided to buy a new receiver, the JVC KD-HDR20, which is the upgraded version of my previous receiver. I pulled the dash apart and hooked up the new receiver... same thing happened - no audio.

My first thought was that there is an amp somewhere in car that I was missing. I called the local Toyota dealership and they told me that the 06 Corolla S does not have an external amp.

Does anyone have any suggestions or any other ideas to try?

Thanks

2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I thought that all JBL systems have an amp. I'll have to look into that.

If there is no factory amp, then there are two factory plugs. If there is an amp then there is only one plug.

The amp is usually located behind and below the radio in most Toyotas. On other Toyotas the amp can be located behind the glove compartment. Either way, we need to know if there is an amp before we can diagnose the problem. Check one more place, is there an amp under the passenger seat?

But in the mean time, if one speaker goes bad then all audio shuts down to protect the unit.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  3. revolutionhxc

revolutionhxc New Member

Solved

I found it.

The right rear speaker that was making that popping noise had a connection that broke off and had shorted. I think the heat weakened the plastic around it. But its working now.

Thanks