Quick satellite question

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by mespock, Mar 12, 2006.

1. mespock

mespock Full Member

My car came with a black box for satellite radio. Can it come off with out harming the car? Leaving marks?:confused:

I'd like to remove it if possible.

2. 1wykdmk8

1wykdmk8 Adminstigator

Yes it can, but it will be a bit of work to get it off and leave no mark. Most are held on by 3M double sided tape, you will have to get it off first. What I would recommend is get a small piece of fishing line and 2 sticks. Wrap the fishing line around each stick leaving enuf inbetween so that you can feed it under the lil box. Use the fishing line to 'cut' thru the tape. Then after you have the box off then you can use some Goo Gone and get the rest of the tape off of the car. Then you will prolly want to compound the area (since it has been a while that it has seen the light of day) and then wax it. You should be good to go by then.

Hope that helps.

3. mespock

mespock Full Member

I guess it help.. There is now way of wrecking the finish?

4. 1wykdmk8

1wykdmk8 Adminstigator

If you buy 1000 pound line and you rub the livin hell outta the car it self, and not the bottom of the satellite box you could. But if you buy, or have, 10 pound fishing line and you try your best NOT to rub the line against the paint too much you should be fine. Also, that is what the rubbing compound and wax is for. If you scratch up the paint you can use the rubbing compound (with a buffer of course) and then the wax to return the finish (the only problem you might have is the finish under the box being betta than the surrounding......).

5. mespock

mespock Full Member

Ok thanks Ray

6. 1wykdmk8

1wykdmk8 Adminstigator

:blink: :bye:

7. mespock

mespock Full Member

:wub: Luv ya man! LOL....

8. DSM/137dbs

DSM/137dbs Full Member

ya getting the black box out is no problem, Just take your time and do it right the first time. Youlle thank yourself in the end.