Questions about my Cd Player

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by mfbnyc2001, Feb 4, 2005.

1. mfbnyc2001

mfbnyc2001 Full Member

I just bought a new Kenwood excelon kdc-x579 and the shop that installed it said that i cant use any other type of cd changer with this type of cd player. Im wondering how true this is. I think he is trying to get me to buy the cd changer. I already have a cd changer and t works fine so if i dont need to buy the other one that will be great. If anyone could help me it will be greatly apreciated. Thanks

2. DerrikW

DerrikW Full Member

Use an FM mod.

3. mfbnyc2001

mfbnyc2001 Full Member

im using the fm mod that came with the changer. He said its not working right and its making it sound messed up. Like i said i think hes trying to get me to buy that cd changer. But is the cd changer plug in the back of the cd player universal?

4. MMats4life

MMats4life Full Member

You have three main options...

Use the FM Modulation one you have, if it worked before your install, there should be no reason its not working now. This will not be the best option for sq or functionablity, but its the cheapest.

Buy a kenwood aux adapter (plugs into the factory cd changer port in rear of Hu). This will allow cleaner sound, however your changer must have rca out puts (most will) to work in this fashion. You will also need to use the FM mod. controller for selecting discs and songs.

Or buying a kenwood changer (as suggested) will allow you to use the hu to control all the changer functions and the sound to pass directly to the kenwood unit with the din cable.

If you are having sound quality issues, and dont want to buy an new changer, I would get the aux adapter.

5. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Exactly... using the Kenwood changer would make the most sense, albeit the most expensive option, I'm sure.

There are advantages other than sound quality...
    Such as the integrated controls, possibly CD track and name memory, etc.

But if you are using an FM modulated changer that isn't working as well as it used to - it sounds like an install issue.

Or if he's refusing to install an FM modulated CD changer, then he is trying to pressure you into the Kenwood one - because technically it would work just fine...
    ...although not having all the features that having the Kenwood changer natively controlled by the HU would offer you.

The difference in SQ would be negligable either way, although technically the Kenwood one would have SQ advantages as well.