Question About Glass

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by fb4076, Dec 17, 2003.

1. fb4076

fb4076 Full Member

I was wondering, what would it take to shatter out say the back glass of an SUV. I am looking at perhaps two 15 inch XXX subs, or 2 12-inch XXX's. Would I have to worry about the glass with those? Also, if I just replaced the glass on the hatch in the back with plexiglass, would that be enough or would other windows break?

2. hoss

hoss Full Member

you shouldnt have to worry about breaking it at all. i was running 4 12's hitting 156 Db in stock class of competition in an explorer. it rattled like hell, but never came close to the point of breakage.

3. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Considering it took 48 specially SPL-prepped 12" L7's on tens of thousands of watts to blow out the back window in Alma Gates world record setting Ford Bronco (and even that was after numerous serious competitions and demos)...
    I don't think you'll be at any risk with what you've got.
    Even if they were close-coupled and firing an inch away from the glass itself. :D

4. fb4076

fb4076 Full Member

Ok, thanks, I did not know. I just figured it would be a good idea to ask you guys. Better safe than sorry!

5. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Yes, a blown out window doesn't sound like fun...
    But at least there would be the bragging rights. :lol:

6. ScottS

ScottS Full Member

but yet these kids that roll around the streets run 1 15" audiobahn powered by there pyle 800 watt amp can crack there windshield its so loud :rolleyes: