problem with right front channel

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by bodine76, Dec 9, 2009.

1. bodine76

bodine76 Full Member

I am having a strange issue with the system listed below. I have had issues with the right front channel for a while now (about a year, system purchased 2/08). Basically, when I go down a bumpy road or make sharp turns, my right front channel sort of cuts out, almost as if there is a loose connection (sounds garbled??). Just happens for a few seconds, but is very noticeable to me. I have taken apart the door countless times and cannot find a problem. I took the truck back to the place that installed the system and they said that there were some factory wires they had cut where the ends were exposed and were making contact with metal causing the problem, and they capped off the loose ends. However, problem still there. I have played with all the wiring that I can get to and cannot reproduce the problem.

I should note that I replaced the high end amp back in August. The right front channel went bad and all I was getting was static. The shop talked me into replacing the amp, which I did. Still having issues. I am worried that this issue will also cause a problem with the new amp. Same thing was happening with old amp (memphis mca-2004) and eventually that channel went bad (at least according to the shop).

Any ideas on what is going on here? I am very frustrated with the shop and would like to figure it out myself. Thanks!

06 toyota tacoma double cab
    alpine 9886 hu
    memphis mcd500 500w
    memphis 16-mc4.50 50w x 4
    kicker 12 shallow sub
    alpine x-ref 6.5 components (front doors)
    kicker 6.5" (rear doors)

2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Find a reputable shop, apparently they have no clue.

Now for your problem, looks to me like everything in your system is amp'd. So first, make sure the speaker wires on the back of the radio cannot touch anything or each other.

Go over the install, are the wires soldered to the speakers, if so we are OK there. Where are the crossovers? Are they mounted? Is it possible for them to move? If so we have a problem that needs to be fixed.

Have all the speaker wires been replaced?

A few pics of the install might (maybe) be helpful.

You do have a speaker or wiring issue and finding it is gonna be tough