Power Wires And Rca's

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Steven Kephart, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

I wanted to get your opinions on this.

At our shop, we usually run them together, and NEVER have noise problems. We just make sure our grounds are solid, which means that voltage potentials are the same, and therefore no noise induced.

But the industry usually says to seperate them. I'm sure it won't hurt anyting, but take more time. But I ask, is there really any merit to this recomendation? I think not since unless you run the RCA's up in the air, they are still run right next to a conductor (the vehicle chassis). After all, what does it matter which direction the electrons are flowing?

That is my position on this. Do you guys agree? If not, please give your reasons. I know my position could be wrong. :boxing:

2. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

yes there WAS merit to this, Now doay with Voltages over 4V there is really not much need, but back in the "good old day" with HU under 1V line Voltage, Noise seem ot come from EVERYWHERE

Also, Advancments in the Shielding of RCA's have been the effects of Increased Line Voltage even better.. Meaning Less noise where Noise would have been rampant

However, As you increase the Amount of Current that Flows through the wire the RF signal generator will also increase, so while you may have no noise ay at 60amp, you get to 160amps you just might

but In most common applications now, with Decent RCA (and by Decent I am not talking $50 Monstor Cables, I run 600 Series Tsunmi for like $10 for a 20footer) there should be no problems

3. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I always reccomend it.

The chassis of the vehicle is of course a conductor, but is RFI ever present near a ground wire? It is always the positive that induces the RFI ;).

While you are correct, a proper install will reduce and likely eliminate noise potential, there is still moisture in the air, bumps to go over, and other things that may loosen or corrode a ground just enough to allow for potential differencials that can and will induce noise. Also you need to consider that many people will shortcut their install, and possibly create noise machines!!!

I always reccomend it considering those 2 facts listed above, and I also do it on my own vehicles. In my Nat I have speaker running up the drivers side, RCAs on the tranny tunnel, and my power is run through the solid frame underneath the vehicle (the frame is a great shield like a shielded wire :D ) up into the trunk and to the amps. The only place any wires get close to each other in my car is at the amps, and where my left side speaker wire runs under the dash and my RCAs wrap around it leading to the tranny tunnel.

Why go to such great extent? Because, I want every assurance that I will not suffer any issue due to a poorly done install.

On a customers car I will bundle the RCA and speaker up one side, and power up the other, just to be on the safe side ;)

4. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I agree, it still has merit, it's simply because you KNOW absolutely for 100% certain that your positive wire is behaving like an RFI antenna... the higher the current flowing, the stronger the signal. ;)

So, if you know that it's a source of RFI noise, why would you intentionally run your RCA's right next to them?

Granted, it is darn near impossible to run your RCA's in a manner that totally eliminates them from running near RFI sources (but I've been pondering the possibilities of "headliner" lately... B)), but it's just not a GOOD idea to run them just literally hugging against what you know is absolutely an RFI source.

As far as the chassis goes, the whole chassis is a ground plane, but the path the current actually flows through as that return path is quite random. So, your RCA wires likely aren't going to be adjacent to that path. But that path also, is an RFI radiator... wherever the heck it is.
    That current isn't flowing through the whole chassis, just whatever the path of least resistance is... so the whole chassis isn't an RFI source, if you will.

Sure, you can get lucky... if your head unit and amps are all nicely isolated, and your RCA's are properly shielded, or you aren't flowing much current through the power wires, etc.
    But that doesn't mean it would be a "best practice" to run the RCA's next to your power wires, make sense?

5. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

DC current flows from negative to positive ;). The chassis is not the return path ;) :p .

Just giving you a hard time :bye:

6. Steven Kephart

Very good information guys. I guess we have gotten lucky so far. But then we haven't put together kilowatt systems in customers cars. But we always check their systems just to be sure.

With my own, I did seperate them. I don't mind going the extra mile in my ride just in case. After all, I probably won't mount subs under customers dash's. :rolleyes:

7. hobbes26

hobbes26 Full Member

8. Steven Kephart

Thanks Hobbes for the links. I must have read some posts by RC a long time ago, which brought me to my conclusions above.

And that second link (which is a REALLY tough read) does help. It shows that worse case you will have 40 dB of noise introduced. With the vehicle on, I highly doubt you will be able to hear that with music playing. Thanks for supplying the link. I had lost it when the CS forum changed servers, and my saved "favorites" stopped working.

9. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Hey, I'm not an electron, I never stood in that line...
    And you know me, I'd go against the flow anyway... B)

10. Steven Kephart

So do you guys still stand by your original points, or do you agree with what Hobbes brought forth?

And maybe I should break it up a little bit. Let's propose two different situations.

Situation 1: Your recomendation to a customer/newbie that might not know how to hook things up properly (seat bolt grounding with factory paint insulation)

Situation 2: In your own vehicle, or installs you are doing for other people. Now I know you guys mentioned how you have it ran right now. But doing an install for money, or a friend and have limited time, would you still take the extra time to seperate them?

We'll assume that when really high current is being drawn, the system is playing so loud, you can't hear the noise being induced. I don't think that is an unfair assumption, and is one of RC's points.

11. Steven Kephart

And they gave you a liscense? :blink:

12. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

I am a Firm Believer in the " If is aint broke dont fix it" saying

So if how your doing it now works for you, dont change it, no point

Now if at some point you run across a situation where it causes you problem, then that is when I would seek out alteratives

13. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

^^^

Limited time and money? If it is too limited I will turn it away. I don't need to install anything in a rush, as rushing always leads to bad things. Let's say we run into a noise issue after the install is completed? Moving everything to the other side of the car now is going to take considerably longer, don't you agree? At least now we can eliminate that as a variable and start looking elsewhere for our noise issue ;).

If it is a high current situation, the induced noise is still being amplified the same amount as the source material (as in a lower current system). A bigger amp means bigger increases in the input signal weather it is source or noise. The amp will not differenciate between the two. The signal to noise ratio being the same will lead to similar results.

I can see what you are saying (and RC is in this link I assume), but that is only if we are considering RFI on the speaker wire, or output. But I personally have no issues with running speaker wire and power wire on the same side. I don't know of any case of speaker wires recieving enough RFI to induce audible noise. And I definately do not know of any speaker wires coming from an amp that will amplify a signal ;) (or the noise in this situation). Of course, if we look at the cost of some wire we should expect it too, huh :p

By the way, like Mike says, if you have been doing it all along with no issues, that is cool, keep doing it!!! I'm not here to change how you do things, I am simply offering what I do, and giving my reasons why. It is just like my job fixing cars, differant people have differant approaches, as long as the end result is a fixed car, who cares how it got there ;)

14. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I think especially in a customer's car, for money, I would run them separately.

If the customer comes back complaining of noise, not only is the troubleshooting time consuming, but because the complaint stems directly off that install (as opposed to something that developed, down the road), all that troubleshooting time would be profitless - you wouldn't charge the customer for that time.

It takes so little time to pull up that extra door sill plate, I'd consider it cheap insurance.

In all cases, having the power wire running right next to your RCA wires will never result in less noise than having them running on opposite sides of the car...
    Unless you do throw in some extranious factor unrelated to having them separated or close-coupled... like running the RCA wires past the car's ECU on the other side of the car, something like that.

As far as the shadetree installer grounding it to an unclean, less than ideal location... same deal applies.
    Having the power wire and RCA wire located right on top of each other are not going to result in less noise than having them located on separate sides of the car...
    Really two unrelated potential causes of noise.

And there's lots more (like the ECU ;)).

15. Steven Kephart

Thanks for the info guys. You definitely make good points.

Now I will say that some dashes are VERY difficult to run wires (Ford Excursion). And to have to run them both directions (drivers and passengers side) will take a great deal of time because of this. So it's not always "cheap" insurance.

16. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

well I am going to have to let you guys in on a Little Secret, most shops DO NOT run them seperate

Like I said in my Post, Power Wire Induced noise is UNCOMMON in common installs today with Line Voltages at or over 4v

That is just like Saying Sodering Connections is a MUST DO :rolleyes:

While YEs a Sodered Connection is prefered it is not a requirment

17. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

Ohh and what he is talking about with "profitablity" is very true, unless the Company has a Local Monopoly, the Comptition is so fierce that I have seen Shops having to offer Free Basic Installation on all products,

and even more often they are going to Flat Rate Installs for Basic Installation, say $60 for a amp

so in both these cases, that extra 15min per car, times 10 cars, is ALOT of money down the drain, that is 90% of the cases would have been pointless waste