Power problem with deck?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Korporat Avengr, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Korporat Avengr

Korporat Avengr Full Member

I recently installed my first system in my truck. I am looking to upgrade some parts of it again but want to make sure I dont run into any problems.
    Heres my system: Alpine cda-105 deck, JL audio J2 320.4 amp, x 4 Kicker KS680 speakers, MTX JH600 amp, Kicker L5 12" 2-ohm sub in kicker enclosure, all new kicker wires w/ 4 awg.

Everything works good and I havent gotten around to fully adjusting the amps yet, so the gain on both amps is all the way down. When i tried adjusting the gain, I would turn it up just a little and it sounded like i was overpowering the speakers and sub...and the sub even had a burning smell coming from the port.

I am about to get a new deck, and i am basically set on getting the Kenwood excelon kdc-x994 or the Kenwood kdc-bt954u. Both these decks have 4V preouts for the amps to plug into. My Alpine receiver has 2V preouts and i cant even set the gain on my amps near the 2V setting (the MTX amp has labeled voltage settings around the gain knob) without the system sounding overpowered.
    So if I get the Kenwood deck with 4V preouts, do i need to worry about overpowering my system?
    There may be another problem in my system, but if i cant really turn up the gain on my amps with the alpine's 2v outputs, what will happen with 4v outputs on a deck?

2. caraudioking

caraudioking Full Member

basicaly you will need to set the amp gain rather low! here is my suggestion! turn your gain all the way off, then turn your gain up slowly as loud as it will go with no distortion. once u hit the point of it just barely starting to clip turn it back down to where it did not clip, same with sub!