Porsche Pics

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Steven Kephart, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

Well there are only a couple things left on the Porsche install I've been working on. All I have to do is build the Brahma 10 for it (man that's fun to be able to say :p ) and set the gains on the amplifiers. Then my part of the install will be done. Here's the link: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/304268/8

Sound Domain is acting all screwy and isn't showing them in their larger picture form for some reason. The sub is basically a PR Brahma 10. I just grabbed a basket, a rebuild kit, a rubber gasket, and a dustcap and set it in there for now. I will try to get pictures up of the amps installed really soon, as well as pictures on how I did the port. So check back regularly.

Steven Kephart
    Adire Audio

2. Steven Kephart

Ok, I figured out the problem with SD. I also added those port pictures. So enjoy!

Steven Kephart
    Adire Audio

3. Jamesr316

Jamesr316 Full Member

Reminds me of my old 928... VERY nice install.

4. joelsbass

joelsbass Full Member

absolutely beautiful... nice work!!!!

any advice for shaping fiberglass enclosures?? in other words what do you reccomend for making a template with nothing to start out with other than basic dimensions and an idea??

5. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Looks great dude. I just browsedyour site again, as it has been a while since I looked at it. Good stuff there bud.

Now when you gonna come out here and glass me a nice dual Brahma box?

6. Jamesr316

Jamesr316 Full Member

Do you drive that "thing" on the first page?

7. Steven Kephart

James;

Lately it seems I do more pushing it than driving it. ;) But yes, that's my car.

Seth;

If you cover the trip, room, board and the pay that I'd be missing, plus talk Dan into letting me go for that time, I'm there.

Joel;

What I usually do is use backstrap, hot glue and MDF pieces to make a skeleton to stretch the cloth to. The best example of this is on page 4 of my website. Another option is to use chicken wire. Just sculpt the shape you want and fiberglass over it. And the final option I have seen is to use foam. What you do is go down to the local flower shop (Michaels works) and buy blocks of that green foam they use in their arrangements. It's dirt cheap, so I think it is the best stuff to use. Just glue pieces of that together and carve out the shape you want. You can fiberglass over it without a problem, then use gasoline to eat away all the foam when done (leaving your fiberglass shape). I hope that answers your question. Please feel free to ask if you have any more.

Steven Kephart
    Adire Audio

8. joelsbass

joelsbass Full Member

sweet, thanks for the advice :D

9. SantaBorg

SantaBorg Guest

Nice work! :yes:

10. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Most consider the honor of my presance payment enough... and I have a big house :)

11. joelsbass

joelsbass Full Member

and a cute wife to boot :blink:

12. Electrodynamic

Electrodynamic Full Member

Stephen, how do you lay so many layers of glas for the base without air bubbles popping up? I'm currently working on 'glasing the mold of the area behind my seats in my Del Sol and I keep getting air bubbles. So far I haven't seen or heard anyone give advice that's worked (using a roller doesn't work for me, the 'glas sticks to the roller).

13. Steven Kephart

What I usually do is apply a layer of resin over the area before laying down the mat. This will allow the mat to stay down and not stick to your roller. It will also allow the mat to soak faster and with fewer bubbles. Also I recomend using a brush with the bristles cut to about 1" in length. This will allow you to dab out the larger bubbles when applying the resin to the top of the mat. I only use the roller after it is completely soaked. I have found that I use a lot more resin this way, but get fewer bubbles and quicker application. On the Porsche project I used 2.5 gallons of resin.

Once I finally get around to developing the rest of the pictures in the Porsche build, I will have a full write-up of the procedures I use. But there are a lot of pictures of the build on there already. One thing to note is how I prep before mixing the resin. If you notice I have several layers of mat ready to lay down and set aside. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions. And don't forget to share pics of your projects.

Steven Kephart
    Adire Audio

14. Electrodynamic

Electrodynamic Full Member

Thanks for the tips. :D I haven't been using rollers, just brushes. What I've been doing on my wall is completely soaking the pieces of mat that I have already cut (I usually have about 20 pieces that vary in size) in my hand and then laying them in place with my hands. If I use the brush to lay them down I usually end up with the mat wanting to go with the brush, and on my wall I need them to stay exactly in place. Fiberglasing a wall that goes away from you as you move down it is pretty darned tough. I'll take pics soon though...just gotta borrow a digital camera from someone. You guys definately have to see this. It's going to be pretty crazy when I'm done. :) Good looking, but crazy.

15. Steven Kephart

I've used that technique before. I thought it was much more messy to use and took longer. It worked fine when we were using UV resin so we weren't under a time crunch. But honestly I didn't see the need for it.

Steven Kephart
    Adire Audio