Polk Mm6/hifonics Zx6400

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by AustinKP, Aug 18, 2004.

1. AustinKP

AustinKP Full Member

Ok, I just got my Zeus ZX6400 like an hour ago, and all I can say is HOLY FREAKING HECK have I been underusing my MM6's. :D I had no idea these speakers sounded this dang good! After my experience with my broken PPI PCX440, I was unimpressed, thinking they had no bass response, i.e. they distorted with low power, etc. Now I realize just how broken that amp was. With half the power (85W compared to 160W), these speakers get twice as loud and are crystal clear.
    First off, I whipped out my brand new Dream Theater Train of Thought CD that I won on eBay for $9 shipped. Wow. I thought I knew what that CD sounded like playing off my HU, but now I realize that I had no clue. With all the HU settings the same, the tweets are much smoother and detailed, the mids are smoother and more natural-sounding, and the midbass response has doubled. The kick drum now actually sounds and feels like a kick drum!
    To start, I listened to As I Am with my HU xover'd at 63Hz. Before, the guitars would be sharp and a little harsh at higher volumes, with a muddy sound. Now they are extremely detailed. During John Petrucci's lead guitar solo near the end, I could hear every single note he played very clearly, and it wasn't harsh at all. Mike Portnoy's drums - especially the kick - were very clear and punchy, with no distortion. I could hear so much detail and clarity in all their songs that I never knew existed.
    One of the most impressive parts was the very end of As I Am. I don't know what it's called, but it's where they just let their guitars play the feedback, where they just kinda whine at a high pitch. Before, that part was too loud and harsh. I had to turn it down because it would almost hurt my ears. Now, with my new amp, I had the volume probably 5-6+ dB (a lot) louder, and the harshness was gone, and it was sweet sounding. I didn't have to turn it down at all. All in all, I am VERY impressed. I don't know if it's just the components now coming to life from more power, the HiFonics amp, or both, but I LOVE it! Two thumbs up for HiFonics :gunsmilie:

2. PolkMM

PolkMM Full Member

didnt i just read this somewhere? ;)

3. AustinKP

AustinKP Full Member

Maybe...but this forum has better smilies :ph34r: Nobody else here goes to the polk forum though. Except Geo sometimes...

4. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

:D I noticed that music was a little sharper and clearer when I switched running my comps off the head unit to my Q3000. Probably nothing like the diffrence you noticed though. :blush:

5. texcon

texcon Full Member

I went the other way - since I had to send in my Tantrum for repairs, I am using my front stage amp on my sub and my HU's internal amp on my XRs. The HU's amp doesn't even come close to sounding as good as my ZX400. I guess it's better than nothing.