Please help, audio whine coming from XM only

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by benhar, Sep 16, 2010.

1. benhar

benhar New Member

I recently installed a JVC Arsenal KD-AHD69 and XM Direct2 receiver in my 2010 Frontier (no amp). I tied together the XM and headunit ground wires, and bolted them to bare metal. Now I am getting the dreaded alternator whine when I rev the engine. But what confuses me is that I only get it from the XM, not FM or CD, even though the XM and headunit share the same ground. I'd really like to minimize the number of times I pull out the dash, so before I do so, is there anything else I need to be looking at?

Thanks!

2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Is there a box between the XM Direct and your radio?

Sounds like you got the ground thing figured out, so lets try something else. Ground the XM unit to the chassis of the radio. See if that helps. Make sure all your connectors are completely seated.

If nothing works replace the XM unit.

3. benhar

benhar New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried hooking it up to the radio chassis, and ran a wire direct to the negative terminal of the battery... neither worked. From what I've read, this seems to be a common problem with the Audivox XM Direct boxes, so I'm not confident replacing it would work. I may have to invest in a $10 power filter and see if that helps...

I really would have preferred to just get a Pioneer setup with their brand XM receiver, but the volume knob on their current units drives me nuts.

4. benhar

benhar New Member

One other thing... the XM ground wire is a much thinner gauge and a good bit longer than the headunit ground wire... could that make a difference?