Planer Transducers

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by flawlesskid, Dec 9, 2003.

1. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

I'm just looking at them in my parts express catalog and they look very interesting. Anybody ever seen or heard of them being worked into a car stereo installation? PE has various sizes for various frequency responses. I wont go as far to say i'm considering them, but i'd like to know more about them. Seems that they'll have a kinda narrow dispertion, but thats all i've noticed about them.

2. trifle

trifle Full Member

never heard of them being used in vehicles... i suppose some people may have tried...

to me it seems as if they'd have a wider dispersion since they're mainly for in buildings right? i'll get my pe catalog and check

"...The advantages of planar line source transducers are well known, notably a vastly expanded soundstage, improved stereo imaging, little or no vertical disperson (which eliminates annoying reflections of sound from floors and ceilings)..."
    -Parts Express Catalog #22 p. 184

so i guess that depends on which way you lay them..

3. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Yes, I own four of the Bohlender Graebner Neo3PDR transducers myself.
    I had them mounted in the Nissan truck as one iteration of my line-array project.

To be honest, I wasn't very impressed with them.
    Well, that might not be fair... for one thing, I had them running essentially as tweeters, which isn't exactly what they were built to do... I had them running off of the SoundStream Exact 4.3 Xovers I was using in that project.
    They have a frequency response that extends much lower.. I forget how low, but certainly below 1khz.

Bear in mind also that I had simultaniously changed over to some cheap Peerless mids that were on sale for about $8 each, and I really didn't like the sound quality of those at all.

So... with all those extranious factors, while I can say I didn't like the overall sound of that iteration of the line array setup... I can't lay blame on the Neo3PDR's. ;)

Also, the larger size units appear to be a different construction... the low frequency response is no doubt extended... I'm sure it's a different listening experience. ;)

So I'm sad to say... I'm probably about all you're going to find, as far as people who have used these in-car! :no:

4. trifle

trifle Full Member

you are a true pioneer sir :bye:

yeah some of the larger ones can go down to around 150hz or so.... :blink:

5. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I just like to play... try to make things sound good, try something new.

I really did like the results I got with the line array (maybe I should call it a curve array? :p), but really it was only two same-frequency drivers per door...

In my Pathfinder I picked up, i'm thinking maybe four or five of these Aura 2" full-range drivers per door, or maybe some of these Aura 3" full range drivers, but they would require a separate tweeter, where the 2" ones wouldn't... although, I'd only need the tweeter for literally the top octave, if even that...
    I'm still pondering.
    Right now, I've got a set of Alpine coaxials that are plenty decent for listening purposes... I've had these coax's for like... 8 years filling the role of 'standby' and 'spare' nicely. They weren't even expensive when they were new. B)

6. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

Wow, those look really interesting Geo. How easy are they on the pockets? The frequency response on that 3" looks damn good for such a tiny driver. A couple of those bad boys should really get the job done in the midrange to high frequency range. 80db efficiency is more than what i expected to see out of such a tiny driver.

7. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

They really are actually quite easy on the pocketbook:
    Madisound carries Aura.

I own an Aura Mobile Reference component set, and the sound quality is very pleasurable and nicely detailed. The best soft dome set that I've ever owned. B)

8. sundownz

sundownz Full Member

Geo,

Check out the Tang Band W2-880S on Parts Express... amazing upper end response for a driver that can handle all the way down to ~300Hz. I have 8 of them on my desk right now, gonna use them from 360Hz on up in my car whenever I get my install underway ;)

http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/264-806g.pdf

Only $7.88 each for 4-11 drivers.

Just tame the ~12.5kHz peak and brink 17kHz up a tad and the response is very close to +/- 3dB from ~300Hz to ~20kHz.

9. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Very cool and interesting, but excursion definitely is low on them.
    Something to consider, since I'm a Parts Express dealer... so I get them significantly less than that price.
    By virtue of price alone.... they are tempting.
    I could always do V.1 of the array using these drivers, of course...
    The hole pattern does look the same as the Aura 2" drivers... hmm...
    Bear in mind the Aura driver does have 5x the excursion though...

10. sundownz

sundownz Full Member

Yah, by overhang anyway. You can move em' a solid 3-4mm with your hand before anything physically stops the movement... if you are only running them down to like 350Hz or so like me, they really don't move a whole lot even when they are making quite a bit of sound. If you really need the drivers to move very much at all, especially with more than one per side... your ears will be hurting too much to discern SQ. I had just a pair of them sitting on my desk here at home crossed at 360Hz going and it was really freakin' loud and they were MAYBE doing 1mm. And they still have some non-linear x-max left in em ;)

I was looking at the Auras too... but I didn't think they were worth 4x the cost.

11. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

So what do you think of the SQ?

I also noticed Parts Express has a Hi-Vi 2" fullrange that has a good response plot to it.

Personally, I'd probably be running mine down to 400hz or 500hz, just a guess. Planning on installing a dedicated midbass right behind them, undecided on that unit right now, need to explore how much 'glassing I'll be doing. ;)

12. sundownz

sundownz Full Member

They are more accurate than the 3" Tang-Band drivers in my Logitech Z560 set. All in all I'm quite pleased with them, pleased enough that I am installing 8 of them in my vehicle. I really wish I had an EQ somewhere around the house to try smoothing out that peak, I'm pretty sure I was able to discern that in listening -- a tad of harashness on a few things. I've heard many a midrange that doesn't do midrange as well and many a tweeter that doesn't do tweet as well ;) I'm very happy w/ them.