pioneer sound quality query

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by cal_blam, Oct 14, 2009.

1. cal_blam

cal_blam New Member

Hi there, I just installed a basic pioneer car CD/tuner DEH1150MPG to my 2000 Honda Civic, along with 6" 160w Pioneer 2 way speakers. I am running the speakers direct off head unit. I did this to replace the very ordinary stock Honda equipment.

I am really disappointed in the sound quality, and hoping for some advice. Not sure if the issue is the speakers or the head unit, and if this is the best I can hope for.

Basically, the sound is very...the word I use for it is "lispy" but I am not sure if that is the correct term. Any "s" sounds are very exaggerated. Also a lot of "t" sounds too. Percussion in the background, for example cymbals, is also exaggerated.

The overall effect is to make everything sound tinny and overproduced and it gives me a headache after not long listening. I have never had a car system before that did this to the sound.

Is there some way to fix this, or is this what I should expect from this equipment? Is it moe to do with the head unit or the speakers or both?

I tried adjusting the equalizer and loudness settings, but no real effect.

Callum

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

how many bands is the eq? also disable the loudness feature. try turning the higher freq's down until it sounds better, unless you did.

does the head have a BBE setting too? if so turn that off too.

3. cal_blam

cal_blam New Member

The EQ lets you adjust "Bass" "Mid" and "Treble". I have tried turning each down in turn.

I currently have turned the loudness off. There is "off" "low" or "high". EIther way does not make a big diff to the range of effects I described.

I don't think there is a "BBE" setting.

4. cal_blam

cal_blam New Member

There is a BMX/compression setting. Which I have set to "off". Not really much change.

I think this is just what this unit is going to sound like. Sadly.