Pick Some Rears!

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Jamesr316, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Jamesr316

Jamesr316 Full Member

My frined has a 99 Jeep. He is getting the Cadence Comps Comps recommended here. He is also getting a 4 channel Amp that does 75 X 4 @ 4 ohms.

Im thinking he just gets some midbass speakers for the back. He could also bridge 2 channels to power a sub but he doesnt want a sub. I think some midbass would be better than some coaxials back there. What do you think? We have a 5.25 area to work with.

2. texcon

texcon Full Member

If mids is all you want, he could probably get some mids from Parts Express pretty cheap - maybe some Peerless?

3. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

Adding midbass to the rear will just throw off his sound stage. If you are going for an accurate sound stage all you should hear from your rear speakers is light ambient noise. I cheap coax should do you fine.

4. Jamesr316

Jamesr316 Full Member

He is really looking for bass in the back. he turns his system up loud, wouldnt a 2 way really distort it? Only reason i say look for a midbass is because he doesn't have room for a sub.

5. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

A 2 way won't distort at high volumes, if you aren't feeding it frequencies that it can't handle.

Consider that excursion has to increase at a rate of 4x per octave travelled, as you move lower and lower in frequency, in order to maintain the same output level (and also consider that this happens naturally, a function of having the same amount of power pushing the cone at all frequencies, but slower cone oscillations at low frequencies).

Consider that small speakers have limited excursion. They can only go so far, before their suspensions are stretched fully, their tinsel leads are pulled taught, and/or their formers or cones are bottoming out.

When you run a speaker "full range", and crank it up - it's simply going to bottom out and distort whenever there's a low frequency that it can't handle, at that power level.

Instant cure - use the high-pass filter that's built into virtually every amp out there. Don't send the bass to the speakers. You'll be amazed to find out that you can turn it up even FARTHER, - and without distortion.

Of course, now you have no speakers that are playing bass...
    ...this is where a subwoofer comes into play. Perhaps you might notice the suspension on your next subwoofer, how much excursion capability that it has.
    That's why. B)

And, you don't want to include rear speakers for many reasons:
    http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/Phasing/Phasing.htm
    ...also described on those two pages, along with the issues, are ways you can implement rear speakers, paying attention to the issues at hand. :detective:

6. Jamesr316

Jamesr316 Full Member

i told him about the rears, but he will have 2 channel on the amp unused and is focused on using them. ill have him use straight comps for a whil and see what he needs after that.

7. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Why?
    What if he had 4 extra channels?
    How about 8?

That attitude doesn't make sense:
    What are his goals? To create high-end audio - or to use amplifier channels? ;)

Again - read the link I gave. B)

8. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

Does he already have a sub?

If not get a cheap sub that can handle 300w and run it on the remaining channels bridged

9. Jamesr316

Jamesr316 Full Member

His goal is to upgrade his stock system while keeping a stock deck. He has 6x9s in the door, 3 inch tweets by the windshield, and 5.25 fullrange in the back. I gave him the link to the rearfill page. He says he likes the sound of rear fill, however I have convinced him to leave the 2 channels open on his 4 channel amp so he can decide what to do next.

He told me he didnt have the spaxe for a sub with what he hauls but I think it might be a $$ issue. I will make him lean towards a ~$100 though. People on a jeep forum keep telling him to get rears and he just wont listen. :unsure:

10. Jamesr316

Jamesr316 Full Member

^^^ sorry

11. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

He could just get some small IB subs for the rear deck. The Tangband 6x9 subs come to mind.

12. Jamesr316

Jamesr316 Full Member

They are actually rear door speakers and I dont think he can modify anything... Ill have him keep it absen for now and then have him decide.

13. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

What size openings does he have?

Theres also a 6.5" TB sub

14. Jamesr316

Jamesr316 Full Member

5.25" in rear doors

15. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

thats a pretty simple convertion

16. Jamesr316

Jamesr316 Full Member

not for him, trust me.

17. joelsbass

joelsbass Full Member

pick some rears huh??? i'm gonna say.... eliza dushku, the chick from "the girl next door" can't remember her name... and amy lee from evanesence, damn she's sexy...

oh wait... you ment rear speakers didn't you... my bad lol