Perfect Midbass - an unusual approach

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by madstamm, May 8, 2006.

1. madstamm

madstamm Full Member

Midbass using a huge PA driver
    Hello everyone...

STATUS QUO
    - am starting a car from sratch (95 Renault Clio Williams) and am making system choices, specifically midbass right now.

WHERE I'M HEADED
    - system has to be novel in looks and sound
    - leaning towards a super-high efficiency setup, to get that "effortless" sound... (possibly horns, but looks to be extremely tricky business in-car)
    - purposely looking for cheap tricks (anyone have ideas for cheap damping material i can get at in europe???)
    - want the midbass to be able to compress the chest cavity to uncomfortable levels :D

IMMEDIATE CONCERN
    10-12" :eek: PA speaker running ~80(-) to 500(+)Hz in fibreglass door panels
    ex) http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/264-343.pdf

QUESTIONS

- has anyone seen or done an installation with drivers of this size in doors, heard of someone doing it, and can warn me about some for sure to come problems? (aside from the obvious need to completely redo the entire door) Im looking for imaging issues, driver recommendations, etc...

- at what frequencies does directivity really start to hurt in a car? ie with the driver liked to above, there is 3dB loss at 45deg when above 500Hz... what can the ear typically tolerate inside a car? I just did my second kickpod install with CSS FR125S 4"ers... sounds lovely when you move your head right on-axis, but they dont image at all when positioned normally... so im a little "antsy" about going nuts with the doors just yet...

THANKS!
    for any help... 'be much appreciative to hear from you guys!

cheers,
    mike

2. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

run your mids from ab 60-180 instead of what you listed... Much harder to do doors, you better be good with glassing and make sure you have enough volume plus solid enclosure to door sheetmetal mount. Unless you run 18in subs, 12in mids would be too overhelming.

3. Hautewheeler

Hautewheeler Full Member

you might look into using large "musical instrument" woofers. They offer a great big frequency range, and usually have good sound dispursion, and it would be easy to use crossovers to get rid of the unwanted frequencies. Plus, the musical woofers are usually very power effecient and can be had for cheap:)

Your doors are going to have to be very sturdy (obviously) and you might incorporate an agressive angle into your panel design, since (if my memory serves correct) a renault clio door ends about mid upper arm and begins the window, but you want the sound to hit the ears, and not the elbows, right?

I wonder if anyone has ever fooled around with using linear transducers in car audio yet? - I think that would be impressive!

4. Hautewheeler

Hautewheeler Full Member

whoops! just saw the link.. guess that is a musical instrument woofer..huh?

Hautewheeler strikes again

I'd say stay with 8's or tens, definitely.. 12 would be pushin it, and you'd probably end up replacing lotsa windows. I'm actually in the process of getting an off -the -wall 8" component set together for my truck, and I have the same concern with the doors of the f150 being made of such flimsy sheetmetal.

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  5. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Just a few suggestions here.........

I have done many systmes with KILLER midbass performance, and in my opinion, that is harder to do than just about anything else in the mobile enviorment.

Reason being is due to the frequency and the wavelength in the car, then to add onto the issue they are generally in the doors firing into each other, not good for the most part.

If at all possible, when you build your new door panels, be sure to angle them on axis towards each front seat as much as possible.

Also run them at a lower fequncy like was stated above, But here is the ral issue, when the sub bass and midbass overlap in fferquencies, that is when **** really gets funky and hard to make sound good....phase cancellation.....

Use steep roll-offs and stager the frequencies somewhat, experimintation is the key, you WONT get it rightthe first time!

Another thing you might consider, put the nidbass drivers in the floor, just in front of the seats, in a fibreglass enclosre cut into/mounted to the floor. Have done a few smaller vehicles this way and gotten excellent results.

I could go on and on about this, but just wanted to state a few things I have learned over the years

6. ramos

ramos Full Member

^ very good points. aiming in particular as the frequencies mid drivers will be playing are the most directional by nature :)

7. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

aiming drivers toward a single center point of the front stage works better actually... Also, keeping signal path lengths more or less the same helps a lot due to loudness being directly proportional to the distance from the speakers to the listener (the closer the speaker, the louder it will appear). Putting midbass in the floor is a real bad idea IMO, midbass is directional enough and firing speakers in the way the signals cross, can create tonal nightmare... If you are able to install a sub or two up front and lo pass them below directional region, this would be great (in the floor or center console) but placement and aiming of midbass drivers should not be any different than other speakers. The only effective way to get good midbass is to run it in sealed enclosures and betw. 8-10in in diameter and plenty of power.

8. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

you are correst in some of what you say petr euro. However, when discussing midbass, i am talking about frequencies in the range of "about" 80-200 Hz. There is not enough stereo or imaging information in those frequencies to matter where it comes from. (left/right that it) What is critical is placement close in conjunction with the upper frequency drivers, which are up front creating the soundstage. The human ear will percieve the strike of the snare or tom as left or right from the upper frequencies they produce, and the impact will be created by the midbass drivers, so whether they are in the doors, on axis, in the floor under your legs or in the dash, they will perform well as long a a little thought is put into it..

9. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

I lo pass my midbass at 180... it is still directional and it still affects vocals;)

10. madstamm

madstamm Full Member

thanks for all of your input guys...

my idea was to aim for the passenger head with the left speaker, driver's head with the right speaker... maybe a little above the heads... as much as possible of course.

as for equidistance: they will go into the corners as much as possible.

Both angle and position should not be a problem up to driver size of about 10" due to the clio's very forthcoming cabin...
    however, just got a new problem:

CSS audio is selling the extremis 6.4 (6.8" driver, 25mm excursion :eek:) at CDN200 a pair!! as a preorder...

this would not be keeping with the PA idea, but its such a great deal im not sure i can stick with the original idea here.. what do you guys think??

11. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

Typically, a larger driver with a smaller excursion is a better choice for midbass than a smaller one with large excursion (unless you are limited by lack of room)... Is that 25 mm xmax? Excursion p-p is meaningless if you do not keep it linear...

12. ramos

ramos Full Member

I thought xmax on the extremis was only 13mm ? :)

13. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

Find these if you want to go with a smaller size... there is nothing really that comes close in 6.5 in size...

http://www.ddaudio.com/dd/caraudio/woofers.asp?series=W6.5

14. madstamm

madstamm Full Member

Extremis excursion:
    hmmm excuse me, i meant the peak-peak excursion. and yes, the 25(26)mm are in the ~linear magnetic field. which is not 50mm, but still crazy for a small driver...

size:
    no i dont really want smaller size, this install's supposed to look mean and crazy - but CDN100 a pop is nothing for a driver of that class.. judging by the spec right up there with the DD chassis...

decision time:
    seems though the only reason im interested is the price, and that really shouldn't make or break things... 10"+, here i come :D

15. madstamm

madstamm Full Member

stripping down the clio

...so i bought ~100ft^2 of teroform 6011 yesterday... weighs 5kg/m^2, which is 50% more than dynamat extreme :rolleyes:

ripped open the doors (the panels were silicone-glued to the sheet metal!!) and did my first little test piece of sheet rubber... using acryl-glue on the metal and teroform sheets (would have been twice the price with dynamat-type glue on one side, they were about USD200 for the lot without glue)

http://www.stamm.sh/carsound/clio_036.jpg

http://www.stamm.sh/carsound/clio_044.jpg

http://www.stamm.sh/carsound/clio_025.jpg

nice to see that renault thought of caraudio nuts when building this car - the two panel layers are very nicely accessible, will be easy to cut, etc. looking good so far. just need a driver now :)

16. ramos

ramos Full Member

Nice, are you gonna seal up the doors ? It will tighten up the midbass considerably :)

17. Hautewheeler

Hautewheeler Full Member

ps.. and you can't go wrong with adire products!:)

18. sinistercory

sinistercory Full Member

Thought of the Resonant Engineering XXX components? I believe it's 15mm one way excursion and come as a 2 ohm set. Pricey. So, I guess that is off the point.
    In my experience, anything larger than a 6.5 inch driver in the doors will lead to failure. Not of the driver itself but of the panel. I used MB Quart eights in my doors and it took about four months for the panel to start letting loose.
    Did dual eight inch JL audio's in another vehicle and that lasted about 6 months. I used alot of MDF and fiberglass but the door is just not the place for larger drivers for any length of time. The kick panel is a great option because then you can get better imaging and you have the possibility of building some kind of enclosure into the fender well. Much more solid than any door and solves the problem of time alignment. Good luck.

19. peter_euro

peter_euro Full Member

LOL, I have been using 9in mids for quite a while in my doors, if you design it well, there is no reason why they cannot work in your doors...