PDA O-Scopes

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by sandt38, Aug 20, 2002.

1. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I was looking into PDA O-scopes for a few months (I have a scope already, but I don't like to haul my main scope around for install work), and Matco has just come out with one in conjunction with OTC/SPX. Well, I decided to step up to the plate and jumed on a unit for $775 with expandability capability for OBDII diagnosis. I was quite impressed at injector waveform pictures, crank sensors, and ignition primary signals. I then went to some of the more typical pattern failure items, like MAPs and TPS. Unfortunately the scope was far too slow (with regaurd to refresh rate). At 100Ms it refreshed pretty quick, but as you know 100Ms per division, with a 2 division grid isn't worth a damm, so I expanded the time duration to 5000Ms. It took so long to pick up and display a pattern as to render it useless. I was disapointed to say the least. However, I figured with my main scope I didn't need to worry about the PDA for diagnosis, so I did some looking for how to get an AC scope pattern. No go. No AC readings available. Does anyone know of a good PDA Scope or am I just going to have to spend another grand for a smaller floating scope? My main scope is a $3500 unit and it is just not comforting to bring it to an install job, I prefer to leave it locked up in my heavily insured tool box. Any suggestions are welcome. Also, real time display is mor eof what I'm looking for.
    Thanks,
    Seth

2. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

yikes...

I saw a very very portable oscilliscope, by vellman (sp?) that Parts Express sold...

Personally, I am sure that would give me big grins...

You, I don't know...

BUT...
    How can you argue with a calculator-sized LCD-screen oscilliscope that costs less than $200?

What you are looking for is more high end, or no?

3. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Totoro told me of the same scope. If you have a link I would appreciate it. I don't want an entry level, but I'm not looking to spend another 3 grand. Dual trace scope would be nice, but if I can get a great deal, I might be willing to settle for a single trace.

4. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

5. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Need more. Thanks though.

6. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

Ok, i just ran across the only one partsexpress sells. Think thats the one geo spoke of.

7. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I like this. I'm gonna see if I can get a new one. This one is a refurb. Thanks...

8. flawlesskid

flawlesskid Full Member

No problem man. Glad i could help. I've order my share of crap from that site. I have to order tons of resistors, capacitors, inductors, all types of microchips and crap like that from them each symester.

9. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

$1400 new on that thing. I have 3 more scopes being sent for me to look at, as well as that one. We'll see what happens...

10. The_spacemonkey

The_spacemonkey Full Member

I wish I could afford an O-scope :mad: :(

11. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

SPACE!!!

Good to see you aboard. Your knowledge, and excellent equipment tastes ;) are highly welcome here.

12. geolemon

geolemon Full Member