Parts Express Grills

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by PolkMM, Sep 13, 2004.

1. PolkMM

PolkMM Full Member

I needed some grills to protect the brahmas ill be getting (hopefully in the next week or two)
    problem being--who makes grills that leaves room for over an inch of excursion that these brahmas have?
    so i ran that question by Chris and he recommended the grills from partsexpress...
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=260-443
    they say theyre high-excursion grills but the specs arent listed and Chris has never actually used them before
    i ordered them on thursday(i think) and got them in today
    and of course i had to put them through a durability test
    all i can say is wow...these things are built like a tank
    i got 2...i stood on them--one foot on each grill---didnt feel it bend at all--jumped up a couple times...nothing...stood on one foot on one of them...nothing...jumped up a little on one foot--this is where i felt it bend just a little...bent them back the 1/8" that they had bent(this was extremely hard....it took me a while putting them on a chair and using all my weight to push them back)
    and as far as clearance goes...these things have about 1.75" from where its mounted to where a sub would hit
    all in all--well worth the price...good stuff if your looking for a grill for a high excursion sub
    -Cody

2. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

How is the black finish on them?
    It almost looks like one of those shiny black-chrome finishes, from the picture.

3. PolkMM

PolkMM Full Member

its not glossy...looks like its just a regular powder-coated black...not dull, but not shiny
    -Cody

4. StLB5

StLB5 Full Member

sweet! I was wondering about those! Have you installed them yet? How big is it, what is the diameter of the mounting holes?

5. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

I have had a 12" and a 15" one for awhile now. They work quite nice. Nice flat black color too. My only complaint is how large they are. Quite a bit larger than the outer diameter of the subs we used.

I would be careful with the excursion on the brahma though. I dont remember for sure but I think my roomate's 12A came pretty close to hitting with its 23ish mm of excursion. Just make sure you test it fully one some low tones so you dont have an accident on some unknown music or something.

6. objext

objext Full Member

Yeah, they don't look like enough to me. My brahma 15 sticks out pretty far as it is...

7. StLB5

StLB5 Full Member

I think it would be fine with a flush mounted B12 with a 3/4" ring. Can anyone give me the hole diameter on the 12" grill? I'm worried about what fugyaself mentioned.

8. PolkMM

PolkMM Full Member

lol...actually i didnt even think about the fact that the subs stick out a little :oops:
    its 41mm from the bottom of the grill(Where it would touch the box) to the bottom of the bar(Where the sub would hit it)
    the widest point of the grill is 35 cm
    the ends are 29 cm apart
    those are measurements from the outside....not the inside--the bar on the sides is 1 cm thick
    there are 4 screw holes...2 on each side
    they are 32.7 cm apart measuring from the center of the holes
    -Cody

9. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

It's easy enough to space the grille off the box slightly... even make it slick looking, by cutting a 1/2" tall, 1/2" wide ring to encircle the sub with, possibly carpeted the same way... to which the grille would attach.
    But I can't imagine that even if you don't, the sub would strike it. I'll pick one of those up next time I order from parts express, and do my best to MAKE the sub hit it, in a controlled situation. B)

10. PolkMM

PolkMM Full Member

well...as soon as i get my brahma well see :D
    hopefully it wont be much longer
    -Cody

11. StLB5

StLB5 Full Member

thanks for the dimensions! I drew it up in CAD and that means the inside diameter of that grill is about 13". Aren't most 12's around 12.5"? That doesn't sound like it will be that big.

12. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

If you flush mount you will be fine.

13. PolkMM

PolkMM Full Member

what tool do you use to flush mount and how exactly do you go about doing it?
    would you have any problems with it weakening the wood??
    -Cody

14. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

When flush mounting you want to use a double thickness baffle so that your screws still have something to bite into.

Just make the front piece's hole to match the outer diameter of the sub. Or you could cut a common hole use the router to trim the top piece.

15. StLB5

StLB5 Full Member

Do you have to use a double thick baffle if you're going to support the magnet?

16. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

it would be a good idea because if you do not you will only have like 1/4" to support the front

17. PolkMM

PolkMM Full Member

so could you just screw 2 pieces of 1/2" mdf and cut out 2 different size holes and voila?
    -Cody

18. StLB5

StLB5 Full Member

I guess I miss-understood something. What I'm thinking is about what PolkMM just described, except with 3/4" MDF rings. That's how I make all of my speaker mounts. Two rings screwed and glued together. Both have the same outside diameter. The top one has a cut out the size of the outside diameter of the sub, the bottom one has a cut out the size of the sub cutout diameter. Behind that I'm going to have a piece of MDF cut out to the diameter of the magnet so the sub is supported in the front and under the magnet. Any reason to double up on the MDF if I'm doing this?