Oversized Locations

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by oioismitty, Apr 21, 2004.

1. oioismitty

oioismitty Full Member

Here's the deal, I have a 2001 Neon r/t, which means oversized 6.5" front locations (or 7" or whatever you wanna call them). I am using these locations for components, and mounting tweeters up near the side mirrors.

Sounddomain and Crutchfield both say that 6.5"s wont fit in this location. But I hate the fact that I am limited to certain component sets because of the size. How hard would it be to fit 6.5"s in here and what kind of work would it entail.

Thanks

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Make your own baffel. Just a few cuts, a few screws (screw it to the door), a few minutes and you are all set ;)

3. Feandil

Feandil Full Member

Yep....

MUY FACIL!

4. oioismitty

oioismitty Full Member

A few cuts in what? Is this way easier than I'm thinking it is? I'll probably just pick up a set and try.

So onto components. I'm looking for the best bang for the buck. I have an MTX to drive them with, 50 x 2 at 4 ohms and 75 at 2, and I just want the best cheap set I can possibly get. 6.5

This forum is sick btw.

5. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

Take a piece of wood that will cover the hole. Probably want 3/4" or less.

Figure out where the stock holes are and drill holes in the wood to match.

Draw circle for 6.5 to fit into and cut it out.

Test fit 6.5 in hole and in door.

Make holes for 6.5 to mount to wood.

Put together.

6. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

It's a shame that SoundDomain doesn't have those DEI Viper comp sets on sale anymore...
    They were practically giving them away... $129 for a 7" component set that sells everywhere else in the world for about $400... neodymium magnets - and not only on the tweet... Dr. Kurt Mueller design... 24dB/oct slopes, etc.

You could check, maybe they do still have them -I heard they didn't though. Worth a look...