Opinions On Subs Needed

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Steven Kephart, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

A guy asked if the Powerbase Extreme was comparable to the Brahma and W7. I wanted to check with you guys to see what you guys thought. Here's their website with limited parameters given.

I plugged the parameters into WinISD, which figured out the missing parameters. I think they are fudging their numbers a bit since WinISD figured a Qms of -.397. My guess is that sensitivity is at 2.83 volts, which accounts for it being so high. It models horribly in that it starts to roll off at 100 Hz. :blink:

Now I figure it must be an SPL sub. Would you guys concur? Can you guys see anything I missed?

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

major ported SPL

3. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

The Qts being that low indicates a very low Qes... there's really no getting around that.
    That means the sub has a ton of motor strength...
    That means two things:
    1) that thing is a ported box sub, and that's about all
    2) Without XBL^2, that sub likely doesn't have much excursion... to get the motor strength, you've almost got to trade off excursion.
    Particularly with magnets that aren't all that large.. that means you need to get as much coil in the gap at one time as you can, in the BL equation.

I'd say it's safe to say "no". :p