On Going Review Of The 860

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Fused, May 3, 2004.

1. Fused

Fused Full Member

The reason for the title is that I'm going to add a few pics of the displays to give everyone a chance to see the basics and just how easy it is to navigate.

I'll give this my best shot and if I leave something out, let me know.

First off, the display is very easy to read and you have several configurations to choose from. (Screensavers and movies are not important to me, all thought there are 2 'mini' movies, 2 spectrum analyzers, 5 background pictures, and 4 background visuals). In direct sunlight it can be a bit difficult to read but I find it very easy on the eyes. I was concerned about it having too many different colors,but thats not the case.

The remote in my opinion has the Alpine beat hands down. The range at which you can make changes is conciderably better,ie.. doesn't have to be pointed directly at the unit. It is laid out better and has more ease of functionality.

On to the HU itself. You can choose between standard or 3-way mode.

It is basiclly broken down into 3 functions, which are easily operated from the right knob (multi-function knob)

Entertainment - Lets you choose your backgrounds or screensavers.

Function - (Dependent to each mode - Tuner, CD Player, ect..) Lets you choose options for each mode such as play, pause, scan, & random.

Audio - Lets you choose between Fader/Balance, X-over - Rear High pass(0 to -12db with a range from 50Hz-63-80-100-125-160-200, Front High pass with the same values, Sub adjustments 0 to -18db with the same range),Time alignment, Auto Eq, BBE, and Auto sensing level. I'm running mine in standard mode so I can't give you all the specs for 3-way.

This review is rough I know, I just haven't had all the time I need to go into much more depth right now. I haven't had a chance to use the Auto Eq or Time Alignment yet. I like to keep most everything FLAT, so I don't use the EQ curves that are in the system or the LOUD button. In saying that, I wouldn't have thought that there would be this much difference between 2 HU's (Pioneer and Alpine) with the quality of sound from the existing system, but there is! My system seems to be hitting on about 7 out of 8 cylinders now instead of about 4 out 8. The last cylinder is just fine tuning from another ear other than mine.

More to come with pics.

Fused

2. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

I knew all that from the Pioneer website :D

Cmon man give us a REVIEW!lol

3. Penguin4x4

Penguin4x4 Full Member

Indeed. Like, when setting gains, at volume did it start clipping? :D :lol:

4. Feandil

Feandil Full Member

Indeed. Like, when setting gains, at volume did it start clipping? :D :lol: [/b][/quote]
    /hehehehehehe

If it was only so easy :p

5. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

I was checking the unit out at circuit city and I loved the sweet "night cruiser" screen saver. Its a shame the thing is about 3.5 seconds long so it will get old in about 7 seconds.

Can you download new screen savers?

Fused, I neeeeeed to know if it recognizes songs on the radio :lol:

I sold my alpine 7893 for 200 dollars......booooya!

6. Penguin4x4

Penguin4x4 Full Member

/hehehehehehe

If it was only so easy :p [/b][/quote]
    :lmfao: :rolleyes: :p :lol:

7. Fused

Fused Full Member

Civic, unless I'm missing a feature, it doesn't recognize the name of the song being played on the radio.
    As for downloading screensavers you can go to http://www.pioneer.co.jp/car/pclink3a/index-e.html see all they have to offer. You have to download a 11mb software file before you can write it to disk to upload in the HU. It will let you add your own pictures, but I want to say they have to be like 600x800 resolution or some where in that range. Just about any picture I tried to use, it compressed it. You had a box,similar to the one in microsoft paint where you highlighted the portion of the picture you wanted instead of using the whole thing. It will also let you make a slide show but only lets you choose 3 pictures to use in it.

There is also a feature thats pretty cool, when you turn the right knob whil a cd is in it lets you scroll through all the titles and pick the song your looking for while listening to the current song. Same for the tuner and the pesets you've selected.

After I first fired it up the second thing I did was to rest the gains (the best I colud by ear). The peamp voltages are a bit stronger than the Alpines so I thought that should take priority.

I'm no good at this review stuff but I will give it the best shot I can, anything else I can try to help with let me know. I don't believe that anyone who gets this HU will be disappointed.

8. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

How would it do that?

I don't know of any HU that recognizes radio signal songs. Maybe sattelite, but not standard stereo.

9. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Seth, stock radios do that now. My friend has a Mountaneer which does it and another has an Audi which does the same thing. Another kid has some cheap Blaipunkt(sp) HU that recognizes songs on the radio, so it can be done

10. texcon

texcon Full Member

It's amazing that some people rate the sound quality of the Alpine so much below the Pioneer. I am not saying it is not possible, as I don't have enough to go on to compare the two. But it's like we are comparing Jensen to Pionner, not Alpine to Pioneer. Is this ALL Alpines, or the top level Alpine 9835 vs the Pioneer 860?

I recently purchased a 9813 because of budget restraints, which is replacing my stock HU. So I will stick with it, at least for the time being. I am sure I will enjoy what the 9813 brings me. The Pioneer 8600/860 is a VERY intriguing HU though. I had the chance to get the 8600 for $332 plus S&H from SD - I almost want to return my Alpine and get the 8600. I might wait and get it down the road when it is being closed out :p

11. superman

superman Guest

The radio that was in my Mountaineer did the same thing, why won't alpine or pioneer do this, it's frustrating! Oh and by the way, this feature is called RDS

12. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Interesting... I did not know, nor have I ever seen it personally... and I do drive several cars a day.

Maybe it is only in certain areas?

Just thinking aloud... or should I say, atype :p

13. texcon

texcon Full Member

I'll be honest - I rarely ever listen to the FM dial, so I wouldn't know what the hell is going on over there.

14. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

That feature by itself is worth 50 dollars to me. It is so damn convenient! You are driving along when you hear a good ass song that you never heard before or barely hear on the radio. You look on your dial and the name is right there! You then go home and download it. :boxing:

15. Fused

Fused Full Member

Texcon- I'm only comparing it to the HU I had before. But as I mentioned, somehow this 860 has given my system a rich full sound as where the 7897 was lacking. It is also more user friendly; less buttons to push to get where you want to be. The one aggravating thing about the 7897 was getting to the x-over. If you didn't hold the button down the right amount of time it kept kicking you out of custom mode to user mode. On the 860 its just one push and turn the dial to where you want to be. Don't get me wrong, I do believe that Alpine makes a top shelf HU, I just wouldn't trade the one I have now for the previous.

About the rds feature, I really don't listen to FM. The reception in my area is not up to par and there are a limited number of stations to listen too. I'm seriously concidering getting XM though.
    Civic- if you were to get XM, that would solve your problems. The artist and album are displayed all the time on every station. ;)

16. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

XM= more money :D

I hear the Alpine 9835 has far superior sound than the 9833 so a comparison b/w the 8600 and the 9835 would be ideal. I guess we will have to wait for that review if it even comes in the first place.

TEXCON, how can I get the 8600 from Sounddomain for that price?

17. texcon

texcon Full Member

Well, I went to Pricegrabber and found the lowest price (~$335) and then submitted a price match through SD. SD approved a 105% price match, so I could have gotten it for around $332.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod...ioneer%25208600

I think I used Harmony Computers for the price match.

18. texcon

texcon Full Member

BTW, that was good info fused. My question about comparing Alpines to Pioneers was really more general, not directed at your specific comparison. It just seems that there is a lot of "Alpine" bashing going on right now, but then again, the 8600/860 sets the bar as far as most bang for the buck HUs go. I would love to try out the Alpine 9813 first and then perhaps go to the 8600 later so I can "expand my audio palate". The 9813 cost me $300 plus tax, or $324. I can get the 8600 for around $350, so only $25 more. Decisions, decisions.

19. Fused

Fused Full Member

Texcon- I may have mentioned it before, not sure but, I got my 860 thru E-tronics for $364 delivered to the door. I've used them before and have had no problems plus they are prompt with getting the order out. Although they're not an authorized dealer, it comes with the one year warranty from them with the option to get an extended warranty up to 5 years for a little more.

20. texcon

texcon Full Member

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I am leaning toward returning the 9813 and trying the 8600. I'd have to get the 8600 since my Tantrum's gains only go to 4 volts and the 860 spits out more than this. But other than that, the two are fairly similar. I'll be honest - I really liked the 8600 and the reviews it got, but never pulled the trigger.

I sent in a price match to SD on the 8600 - if they approve it, I will very likely get it and take back the 9813 (got a close out at Car Toys of all places). I was really more concerned with the bling bling factor of the 8600 vs the subdued looks of Alpine decks, but it seems that the 8600 display is not all the overpowering. I continue to read posts about the ease of funtionality with the 8600 and the superior SQ of the deck. With the 13 band graphic EQ, I am sure I could find a sound I am pleased with. If I don't like the 8600, I can easily find a 9813 or 9833 for about the same price elsewhere.

BTW, what Alpine deck were you using prior to the 860?