ok to be underpowered?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Civic96, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Is it ok to have kappas 62.5I's which are 75 Watts RMs to be powered by an alpine Hu which only gives about 27 W or should I buy coaxials which are 30W RMS?

I got the Aline 7893 btw...... :D

2. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

This is a debate which has many different sides. My stance on it is that yes, you'll be fine underpowering them as long as it is CLEAN power. With that said...it will be very hard for you to get the volume you want out of the deck without causing some distortion. My vote would be to get a cheap 50w x 2 2 channel amp and call it a day.

Nice pickup on the Alpine btw :).
    Chalk another one up for the Alpine crew baby! :p

3. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

4. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

That site is really informative I must admit.

There has to be a pair of speakers with RMS of 40W or something......Im gonna look around, feel free to help

5. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

for running off a headunit, buy some PIONEER coaxials

6. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

Thanks for the advice.....I found these what do you think?
    Alpine SPS-1629S( 30W RMS).........let me look at the pioneers now.....Pioneer TS-G1647(2-60W RMS) are an option and so are the Pioneer TS-D160R(2-60W RMS) .

No matter what any of these should be better than my stocks correct?

The Sq on the Alpine is far superior than the Xplod I had before, it gets louder w/o distorting. It sucks that the angle feature is completely useless in a civic since any angle besides the regualr one is impossible to see.

Do you guys think I would be able to put in the speakers myself or is it something that requires quiet a bit of skill? Sandt maybe you could give me a run through.... :)

7. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I don't know your price range..
    But I stand by my recommendation for the Cadence UltraShocks!
    They got so damn loud on 100 watts, they would definitely still be very much satisfactorily loud on your 20 or 30 watts.. they are extremely efficient, and sound quality is good enough to make them long-term keepers.. now, and post-front-stage-amp-purchase! ;)

In that light, what's the best way to spend your money?

8. Bobby12many

Bobby12many Guest

I also say that you save your money, and Buy a nice amp like a USX-4065 to power your co-axs. Then, Once you are ready to upgrade Your front stage, you can bridge that little fucker out to make well over 190watts per channel.

9. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member

mmmmmmmmmm.......300ZX.....TT? ;)

Im fine with my stock speakers but I would like coaxials so I can go louder w/o distorting.

The Time Correction on the Alpines is an awesome feature...Im no pro at it but playing around with it allowed me to appreciate my deck even more.

If worst comes to worst I will buy another amp but for now I just need a pair of coaxials.

How hard is it to install a pair?

10. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Installing a coax style speaker is a piece of cake...
    If you get it in your stock size, it should just bolt right in, very easy.
    Unfortunatly, you usually end up needing to cut off your stock speaker connector, so pay attention to which wire is which (just stay consistent on both sides, really) so you dont end up with one side out of phase, relative to the other one.
    The ultra shocks are actually a component set though (like the JL XR coax versions), in that they are a separate mid and tweet, with a separate 12db/octave low and high pass crossover that you tuck away somewhere in your door.
    It just so happens that the tweet is mounted right over the mid, making for a coax-easy install. ;)

11. Civic96

Civic96 Full Member