Ok Help me Decide on my new System

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by The_Ancient, Sep 13, 2003.

1. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

I can not decide.....

I am thinking I can do a good looking install with those Flat Cone ED subs (I know seth, I know :lmfao: )

But I can not decide What do go with

at First I was going to go with 2 15 A's and about 750-1kW ea, but they ahve 2ohm, I want to use the Cadance ZRS amps, because they look cool, and I think I can get a good deal on them but that puts me a bad loads...... I dont want to underrun the amp, even though it may take it, still hard on it for daily use....

So I thought about 3 12 o's. but they are for sealed apps, I dont know it I want that

then there are the K's, but would a really be gaining anything?

Help me out, What would you do, if money was not a optject, (to a certin extent)

Would the 3 12 K's in a ported box with about 1500w to all three (running ZRS8 @ 1.33ohm ) be louder CONSIDERABLY louder than my HSLs in a sealed box

Would 3 12O's in a Sealed box be louder than the 12's?

I know the O's have a better excursion number, but ported will yeild higher output

My end goal is to

1> go deaf
    2> Knock the wind out of people when they sit down

Think I can get ti done with either of these?

2. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

well here is what I am planning

See if you think this sounds good

Cadence ZRS8 Running ----> 3 ED12K Subs in a Ported Box
    Cadence Q3000 running ----> CDT CL61a Componets
    Blaupunkt San Jose CD Player

So far after I buy all the new Wiring for those beasts, I will be Just Shy of $1500

Sound Good?

Something Need Changed, I know some of you will not like the Blaupunkt, but I am speanding more on amps and subs that I wanted so something had to give, the subs will last me for a few years (or I hope :lmfao: ) I can change the CD player out easyly though next year

3. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

well hell, I am having problems designing the box that I like for this 3 12's

I really wanted to do a dual 15 Setup and I think I HAVE to if I want to box design I am going for to work

so do you think the Cadnece will handle .5ohm's ok?

or would I be better off finding a differant subs,

why cant these people make thier subs in Dual 4 ohm, god damn it

I though about the New MTX but hell even unthorized I am seeing them at the $470 range, $1,000 for subs uis not what I am going for right now

my only other options is to not use a cadence amp and use like a MTX or somehtingt that is 2ohm

I may have to do that, and then get the cadence for the truck that I will be buying before snow gets here, going have me a 4x4 this year :lmfao:

4. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

I don't think Cadence would run at .5 ohms...at least not for very long. If it was just for burps, possibly. I swore they made the 15A's in an SVC or DVC 4 ohm version but they don't, weird... In either case though, why can't you find an amp that will do max power at 2 ohms? I'm sure a Cadence amp that puts out enough power at 4 ohms would run at 2 ohms without issue. I'm fairly certain Seth has done that with the brahma for a long period before.

My vote goes for the dual 15a's or trio of O's. Either one should be sickeningly loud.

I'm dying to hear an O or an A from eD...

5. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

I don't think Cadence would run at .5 ohms...at least not for very long. If it was just for burps, possibly. I swore they made the 15A's in an SVC or DVC 4 ohm version but they don't, weird... In either case though, why can't you find an amp that will do max power at 2 ohms? I'm sure a Cadence amp that puts out enough power at 4 ohms would run at 2 ohms without issue. I'm fairly certain Seth has done that with the brahma for a long period before.

My vote goes for the dual 15a's or trio of O's. Either one should be sickeningly loud.

I'm dying to hear an O or an A from eD... [/b][/quote]
    I never said i could not find a amp

but I would not buy a amp optimized for 1ohm and then run it at 2ohm, your just wasting money there,

for instance, I can get a MTX T1501D 1500W @ 2ohm for $430 the ZRS10 which si 1500w @ 2ohm would cost me appox $600

I wanted to go with Cadence, I like the looks of them, but it looks like MTX will be getting my money this time around

I will probally go with 2 12o's in my truck when I get it.... then I will get a cadence

so right now I am thinking this set up

MTX T1501D --------- $435
    MTX T282 -------------- $135
    Kenwood KDCMP222 $195
    CDT CL61a ------------- $150
    2 E15A's ---------------- $330 (plus shipping)

So i am looking at about $1215 plus like $60 more for shipping on the subs

then about 35 more for my Power/ground wires (going with 2ga)

and probally about $50 for misc crap

so about $1300, and I think it will sound damn good and LOUD, what do you think?

6. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I know the A7s and Z7000s will have no issue running at .5 ohms.

My assumption is the ZRS amps will do fine as well, but who knows? That is pure conjecture on my part.

Loyd (bigbassman) is running a Z9000 (800WRMS@4 ohms) at 2 ohms daily and as low as .5 for comps, with no real issues (aside from an ocasional protect mode at .5). Regal has run his A7s at .5 per (bridged 1 ohm) as well. The Reliabbility has always been there, but I have only a small group of customers running the ZRS8s right now, and all are owners of single Brahmas, so we have a 4 or 1 ohm load.

Chris, my Z7000 is always run at 1 ohm, but it is 1 ohm stable ;).

I like the MTX amps as well.

What about Hyphonics? Alphasonic?

I may be able to hook you up with them too Mike...

7. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

at this point I am open to anything

I want to Get REALLY CLOSE TO, if not over 150 and still sound good, dont get me wrong though you "good" and my good are probally very differant, :D

and I want to stay under $1500 if I can....

this includes CD player, Componets and all the amps and wires, but wire is cheap under $1 a foot for 4ga - 1/0ga so that is not a problem

I will consider any ideas,

ohh and I have never liked 1 subs setups, 2 or more for me,

I was considering the braham, if they were not made at desjti, them having IMO terrible QC,

I wish Geo and better audio would get some damn products out, I would lobve to run them, having the inside coupe that I do :lmfao:

8. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Eh... I mentioned the QC issues having been resolved in the PM I shot you. I am just not seeing Brahma failures anymore.

[​IMG][​IMG]Tumults maybe?

9. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

What about some XXXs? I got a good buddy who is an Authorized dealer I could hook you up with.

10. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

the XXX is still a Dejsti, hell RE is Dejsti,

Just some of the things a Certin person we both know very well seth said to me about them has be pretty lery about buying anything connected to them.....

plus the whole mess with the Class D Platforms that everyone knows about says little about Quality Control

I am not saying the Brahmas are failing, they could very well be at 100% non failur, that does not mean they have a good quality control, they could just be getting lucky, one bad batch of OEM parts slips through because of a Bad QC dept, well then you have 100% Failed rate.... see what I am getting at?

I still may consider it, but any other idea?

How much atre those tumults anyway?

11. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

I have heard both ways with Destijl. But then I very much trust what Dan says, and he says they have very good luck with them. I figure he would know. He has been selling woofers made by them for a long time, so I figure he would know, or be quick to leave if there really was a problem. After all, poor QC would make Adire look bad. And that's just not good business. But if you are really concerned, call up Dan and ask him. He has always been up front with me about it and you find out that the number of instances are so much smaller than they appear.

Also remember that Destijl isn't the only company Adire uses. :bye:

The companies I completely support are Adire (obviously), RE, and Better Audio. So I personally recomend going with one of them. I feel that I would rather support those companies for their engineering talent and customer service.

12. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

Remember that the Brahma has a lower DCR than other subs. This means that the amp will see a lower impediance than other subs. This is because Adire uses home specs for thier products which means the DCR has to be like 70 or 80% of the nominal impediance. Or something like that.

13. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

right, but I dont think the Shiva/Tempests would hold uo too well with 750-1000w's :D

14. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Tumults are $499

100% rate? Not realistic. But I have not had a failure returned in quite a long time. There have been some design changes as well that may be somewhat responsible for the reduced failure rates. But who knows for sue?

Dan maybe <_<

15. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

^^and on the Tumult note...^^

Look for a certain ElCamino to be hitting around 150 with a single tumult at about 30Hz next year. There may be a buzz about an "SPL Camino" or a "ShitPL Camino" (Barf mobile)... I am hoping to accomplish the latter by the physical responce to 30Hz being that loud, but who knows?

16. luvdeftonz

luvdeftonz Full Member

Well, you could always use PG Tantrum amps...I do and the 15A loves it! A single Tantrum 1200.1 will give each 15A a hair over 750 wrms/per (does full power between 2-4 ohms). As would, of course, the MTX, at 2 ohms...but I'm a little biased. Or you could run them off 2 Avionixx 800.2's. In fact, buy 3 Avionixx 800.2's and run two 15A's, and use the third on the CDT's (headroom baby, I know you like it ;) ). Three identically sized amps would make the install look sweet, if you went the extra step. Or, if you're sketchy on Avionixx amps, Kicker also has an 800.2, if you don't mind huge ass amps. Kicker's are pretty easy to get good deals on. If you can find one of RF's older BD1500 amps, they put out close to 1700 wrms...if you went the RF route :puke: I will admit, those new Cadence amps are the sexiest bitches I've ever seen!

Hmm, a couple of O's would look (and, of course, sound) good with this install in your truckPlease, just click me!. Just because she's off road, doesn't mean she can't look pretty :kiss: The enclosure at the very bottom, btw.

As a slightly askew paraphrase of a popular saying goes, "Hearing, it's wasted on the youth" :bye:

17. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

hmm kicker, I wonder if Tracy can hook me up hmmmmmmmmmm

Tracy here I come :bye:

18. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I got a Kicker hookup too if you need. Lemme know what you are looking for and I will give you a figure.

19. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

seth, I need 2 15's Componet set (6.5in) and aamps to run them all, that will get me close to or over 150db

what you got?

Trying to stay under $1300

20. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

How about a single 15 that can do it? :detective:

The 15A's definitely aren't SPL woofers, I really don't think they're an ideal solution for you, for your "knock the wind out of people" goal. Sure, they have big cones, but...

The Brahma, XXX, and other XBL2 woofers aren't either.. nor are JL's W7's.
    They'll all get spanked in SPL competitions by true SPL woofers.

But the XBL2 guys and the W7 are more like SQ subs (because they really sound great) with superchargers and nitrous so that they have more SPL, because they have more usable excursion. So they are louder than any other SQ sub, at any frequency... And are even louder than some SPL subs, at least at the extremely low stuff (sub-40Hz, say).

But if you look at the BL numbers (or even BL^2/Re - the best "motor strength" formula!), you'll see that these super-woofers trade off peak BL numbers for that broad BL curve.

So...

I'd suggest this 9515 that I have here, it's a friend of mine's, but it's THE woofer that was sent to DLC for DUMAX testing, so it's literally got it's own personal DUMAX report.
    And it's still sealed up in the box, as mailed back to me from DLC.
    Remember this thing was fully reconed by DD (my friend still swears DD sent him an actual new driver :lol: ) like a month before we sent it in, it's definitely in primo shape.

I bet he'd take $250 for it. He seriously does want me to sell it for him, he's back at graduate school (he's a younger guy).

Or, barring that one...
    We've got a line on a Swiss Audio 24" sub that actually models out unbelievably nicely in just 4 cu.ft. or so, ported... response plot is literally anechoically flat down to 20Hz when you tune it down low (I don't remember offhand, like 28Hz or something).
    I can get you one of those for like $300... you have to admit, a 24" sub would simply be damn cool! B) It even does look cool.
    I've got one of these headed to my house now, I can let you know in the next couple weeks how it really is.

Here's a link to that one, but don't use this site yet, we aren't exactly watching it for new orders, since we don't really have it published anywhere:
    http://66.216.82.48/product.asp?3=51
    Actually, looking at that picture, it doesn't look 24" does it... must not be the right picture.. oh well...