Normalize Function When Ripping To Mp3?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by fugyaself, Sep 10, 2004.

1. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

Anyone know the purpose of this function? I never used it because the first time I tried it with Easy CD Creator it made the song sound terrible. I just tried it with cd-ex and the lame encloder and it sounds nearly the same. I ran both outputs through SoundForge and didnt notice much but decided to run the clipping test and it got rid of most of the clipping. Is that its purpose?

2. Jamesr316

Jamesr316 Full Member

I think it is to set the volume the same for everything you rip so nothing sounds drastically low where you need to raise the volume, and the next track comes on and blows you away. I think that is what it does.

3. Poseur

Poseur Full Member

Like stated abov, normalizing is simply a way of keeping a reconrding's levels on-par with everythign else. If you've got a clipping issue that was solved by it, this would make sense, basically in that case, the level was toohigh, and the normalizing backed it off to somethign more usual for your setup. It also works the other way around, making overlyquiet recordings louder. Makes nice when you make a mixed CD.

THis is a technology that's obviosuly not perfect as there's alot of factors to deciding what level a recording SHOULD be at, I often find it rarely if ever kicks in...

4. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

If its messing with the volume levels I would think it would make it sound weird.

5. _gonz_

_gonz_ Full Member

Normalizing, as far as Sound Forge or other digital audio editors are concerned, simply means to adjust the peak volume of a selection to a known value. Generally the recommended maximum is -0.5 dB (I think that's 94.49% or something). Doing this is a no-brainer.

Normalizing a set of tunes to be burned to CD, however, means something slightly different. Here it implies that you're adjusting the average volume of those songs so that they will all sound about equal. Doing this is an art.

Using "batch" processors to normalize your MP3 collection, will easily turn into all of the MP3s ruined. It's not something i'd try.

regardless, EZ CD Creator is not very good for burning, as it is.
    for something easy... i like Stomp's RecordNow Max.

Further, if you use quality rips, or make your own preferrably, then normalization is not such an issue. But downloading off kazaa or winmx almost guarantees that 7 out of 10 tracks will be crap. How do you fix it? Can't really, seek out another version of the song.

Look for bitrates 192kbps or better. VBR (Variable Bitrate) is usually the best sounding. But you still have the problem of flaws which are part of the orginal mastering, and that... is the problem.

Using torrent sites, you can often find whole albums in FLAC format, which uncompress into perfect WAVs... ideal really, as lossless a compression as you can get... but still, the original flaws remain.

6. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

Good to know. I read up on it after posting but it was explained a bit better here.

7. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

I have never had any problems with EzCD.. I dont use it much, but it came free with my DVD burner so I used it a couple of times

Nero owns all though

8. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

After switching to Nero I got rid of Roxio/EasyCD.