Newbie Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Aoshi112, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Aoshi112

Aoshi112 Guest

Hey wasup every1, I just joined this forum because my friend recommended this place as a great way to get advice on buying my new sound system for my car. Mind you I have budget and a 1999 Honda Accord Ex V6 and I'm tired of my stock system.
    This is a list of what I was thinking about getting.

Head Unit - Pioneer Premier DEH-P740MP CD/MP3 Player - OEL Display

Subwoofer - I know I want a JL Audio sub, my friends have em and they hit nicely. Though I want some tight bass. I was thinking of a 12" 12w3v2. I don't want REALLY LOUD bass i just want good tight bass that can be kinda loud. I don't like deafening loud bass.

Amp - I'm still not to sure about which amp to get, my friend recommended the MTX Thunder 8302 or a Rockford Fosgate of similar power.

Speakers - I'm not really focusing on gettin new speakers first, this is someting I'll do last.

I just really want input on which subwoofer to get and amp to match it with. Any recommendations and advice what and where to buy?

I'm looking to spend around 250 or less for the sub and 250 or less for the amp. No more than 300 for sub or amp. I just really need advice on pairing the right JL Audio Sub and the right Amp together for good tight not too loud bass.

Last edited by Aoshi112 at Nov 6 2002, 03:09 AM

2. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

What are you going to be playing on it, MP3's?

You can do better than JL's and for less money, See, Elemetnal, RE, HSL, etc

The JL's are good, but dare to be differant,

Dont buy Real Fake Products, they are WAY overprices for what they do, Pick out your subs FIRST and then the amp
    if you still decided on the JL, you will want a little more power than that 302

Speakers should be the FIRST thing, but oh well

3. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

Yeah I followed this order when first redoing my system.

Head unit
    rear speakers (if you want them, I didnt know any better back then.)
    front speakers
    subs
    box
    sub amplifier
    front speaker amplifier

4. The_spacemonkey

The_spacemonkey Full Member

Excellent choice on the pioneer HU..... pioneer makes the best HU's in my opinion

Also good choice on JL's. JL makes great reliable dependable subs, but you pay a bit for the name. I have 2 12W3's(Im selling them if your interested) and I love em. If you want to be different, look into Hollywood Sound Labs, Elemental, or Adire audio.

Not a big fan of either of those amps. If you gave me a price range, and had already decided what subs your getting, I could shoot ya some ideas.

Speakers, I would suggest on getting a good, cheaper amp than the RF(like USX autotek, hifonics, cadence) and spending the dough you save on an at least decent set of coaxes, if not a cheap set of componants. If your interested, tell me the coinage you got available and Ill make a bunch of reccomendations

5. Aoshi112

Aoshi112 Guest

Well last night I bought my Pioneer Premier 740mp for 259. Woopty woop! It's installed already and it runs beautifully! While I was the shop though, the guy quoted me 120 for a JL Audio 12w3v2-D4! He said if I come back he'll treat me good. So I plan on buying that sub from him but I don't know which amp to use to power that 300watts. I don't want to under power it with a mono 250 watt amp but I don't want to overpower it. Which amp should I use to power that sub? I was thinking of spending no more than 300, the less the better, you know? Or should I invest in a 12w3v2-D2 and get a different amp? I derno what to do and would really like some more input. Thnx for the input.

Last edited by Aoshi112 at Nov 7 2002, 06:15 PM