Newbee needs some help.

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by 3rdbag21, Aug 15, 2011.

1. 3rdbag21

3rdbag21 New Member

My daughter received an amp and sub from a friend.
    I am not very knowledgeable about electronics but I want to learn.

I installed the amp and sub and it works but everything is going through the sub.
    No other speakers are producing sound.

The amp is a 2 channel 100watt per channel... I would like to have at a minimum the front speakers working with the sub...

What do I need to do to get the other speakers working?

2. monster71

monster71 Full Member

Are the front speakers not connected to the hu? It will b a challenge to run the front speakers and the sub off a 2 channel amp. U will not be able to control the settings unless each channel has its own controls. Many 4 channel amps have this available. Does the stereo have sub out capability? What type of amp/head unit/sub? Can look at options from there.

3. 3rdbag21

3rdbag21 New Member

The front and rear speakers were and still are connected to the head unit... I did not change anything up there but added the remote wire.
    As far as I know it has sub out capability. I plugged the RCA connectors into the sub out on the back of the head unit.
    All She wanted was bass boost but now all I get is the sub nothing from the rear or front speakers.
    I do not know the specifics about each component but here are the MFG.
    HU... Dual
    AMP...MTX
    SUB... 8" MTX road thunder.

4. Promodmerc

Promodmerc Full Member

How may sets of RCA pre-outs does the HU have? If it only has one (which many lower end HU's do) that is the problem.

5. 3rdbag21

3rdbag21 New Member

There are two sets.
    R/sub & Front. I have the r/sub ran from the HU back to the amp.
    I have nothing coming out of the front RCA connectors. The wiring kit only came with one set of RCA wires.
    Like I said I know very little about car audio so any help would be great.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  6. monster71

monster71 Full Member

Sounds like the head unit setting is set to rear and not to sub. The hu has no way of knowing if u r hooking up a sub or any other speaker unless u tell it The hu setting tells the head unit what type of signal to send. If u hear words from the sub then the hu is set to rear.

Just thought of something else. My Sony hu has an ATT (attenuate) setting. It goes to -10 then the next click turns off the sub completely. Not sure if ur hu has the feature?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  7. shriver187

shriver187 Full Member

doesnt sound like that is the problem at all..... he is having problems with the speakers in the car.. not the sub and amp... check ur connections on the cd player to the speakers.. maybe they came unhooked when u ran the remote wire or something???

8. 3rdbag21

3rdbag21 New Member

Thanks to all... Its working now... don't know why... Unplugged the HU to triple check the wiring found nothing out of place... plugged it back in and it worked.

9. shriver187

shriver187 Full Member

hope it sounds great :)