New to Forum, planning to upgrade system

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by HTSteve, Oct 20, 2010.

1. HTSteve

HTSteve New Member

Hello!

I am new to this forum and seeking some advice.

My current system is an Alpine head unit, MB Quartz speakers (components in the front), a 10" kicker sub (mounted under the back deck, no enclosure) powered by a Kenwood stereo amp bridged.

This is in a 1999 Saturn SL2 and the system is about 6-7 years old.

My current plan is this:

* Upgrade head unit to receive satellite radio (looking at Pionner)
    * Replace Kenwood amp with a 4+1 amp. Current thinking is the JL Audio 700/5 XD

Since the trunk is small to begin with, I do not really want to put in an enclosure. So I have that limitation.

My questions revolved around what other good bang for the buck enhancements might be good for this plan. Specifically around cabling or maybe using a product like Dynamat or Hushmat.

Would the SQ be better putting some money into the acoustic treatments or into better cabling?

Or should I consider a new reasonably priced sub?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

For the most part, wire is wire is wire...As long as you have a decent set of interconnects, power wire that is big enough to feed an amps, and adequate speaker wire, In my opinion, you are better off making the car "dead" or non resonant.

Along with that, whatever sub you use, be sure it will be happy in a free air enviorment....not all subs are designed for this, as a matter of fact, most are not.